Tennis

Build your own tennis lounge .. in your city

Differences

Rate this Entry
Of course, nothing new under the Sun. There are tons of megabytes in Internet covering the same issue, more or less successfully, which is, to host tennis players and take records of their playing. So, what makes my program special?
What are the strong points it wins [against similiar sites]? Well, the most important point, it is a clean
sofisticated tricky software. "These boots were made for walking", not for stumbling upon bugs or errors. Clean software means no user is ever bothered now with erratic browser javascript or server-side dumbness. Bugs were traced and debugged in early 06-07 versions; one is supposed to use now what is as steady-going as a chariot on padded wheels. It's a machine for making your matches, anyway, it's meant to be, it's no facebook-like useless collection of profiles. Many sites collect information from players, their location, email, hours to play tennis, etc, then they would allow people to search or challenge each other; however, this is a rather unpredictable scheme depending on the phone talk or email communication, but mostly on phone talk. Well, talk is cheap. You never know if you'd waste your time. Instead, we place a direct match offer - location, time and conditions. We do it some days in advance in order to get the fish caught. We see various types of fish, lol, 5.0 NTRP! Ohh, no match record.. probably high self-esteem. Another candidate is 4.0 and playes a match each week, no doubt then, (s)he shows up. Do select this candidate and say Sorry! to others. This promiscuity leads to a real club formation in a short time, people have known each other through playing rather then database browsing.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Who benefits most from this program, this is an active and enthusiastic tennis beginner, most probably in late twenties or early thirties. These guys may progress very quickly in tennis, because their health conditions, muscles, ancles, heart, lungs - everything is ok, and given all the free time and enough money to spend on tennis, this yearns results. Most likely, years can completely erase this enthusiasm. Enjoy it from time and play mere 12 matches in twelve months, this is what I can see from statistics of over-forties people like us. So, having all these sorts of public around in one room may cause trouble, for sure. There are ways used to set back the tensions by creating a cold and formal atmosphere of IDs, I even saw a site where a profile photo was a must, and a new player was supposed to come and make a photo at the office so they all looked the same. This is what I think is completely boring; we do not have any ID requirements at all, instead, we all know each other by nicks. If you like it, you may put all this info into the profile, give photos, too; but one is not required, all that he or she wants is find a match opponent.
    Two good things I did last week - A) I tested the program in UTF environment - it works; Vietnamese language supported, - in order to suggest using my program to local foreign communities here in Moscow; and B) I have made a census of Moscow courts by means of the WIKI courts database. Such a tool (courts WIKI) had been added to the program at the very beginning (4 years ago) , now it seems right time to analyse the results. It seems to be the best data ever collected on Moscow courts. It struck me not so long ago when I read on New York park courts system that one can play tennis 8 months in New York for 100$, 20$ for pensioneers, 10$ for juniors, and there are 600+ courts available for that in parks of NYC. I wrote about that in our Motivation forum. It would not be easy to make people believe that. We have had a long tradition of making back-to-back comparisons with America in Soviet times, saying "they have to pay for medicine! for education! for electricity! etc.. we are lucky not to live there!" Here we are in 2010. There are (according to our WIKI database) 650 courts in Moscow, 33% of these are indoor courts, 40% are open clay courts. These courts are located in 140 addresses; they can be categorized as follows: A) courts available for hour rental at commercial price (summer 2010): 25$/hour for open clay courts and 45$/hour for indoor courts - 44%; B) V.I.P courts available to club cards owner and/or for prices starting from 75$/hour - 11%; C) courts belonging to city stadiums, prices starting from 15$/hour for open and 30$/hour for indoor - 24%; D) courts belonging to various city owners (institutes, plants, municipal bodies, etc.), usually available through phone calls, pricing from 15$/hour for open courts, - 7 %; E) courts owned by tennis schools, mainly not available for hourly rent - 6%; F ) parks courts, prices ranging 8$/hour to 15$/hour - 3%; G) courts owned by closed institutions, used by their personnel and friends - 3%; H) free, wild, abandoned courts - 2%. So, there is not much to compare. Playing full summer season (April 15 - October 15) here at least once a week, (25 matches) makes 50 hours, 20$/hour average, you are at 500$/season, paying 5 times more (and playing probably 2 times less) then anyone similiar in NYC.