Craig's list scams * beware *
THE FOLLOWING IS AN EXCERPT FROM CRAIG'S LIST FAQ PAGE FOR KNOWN SCAMS TO PARTIES THAT ARE EITHER SELLING OR BUYING FROM OTHERS.
You can sidestep would-be scammers by following these common-sense rules:
* DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.
* NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.
* FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
* CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification"
* NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
* AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.
Who should I notify about fraud or scam attempts?
* FTC toll free hotline: 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357)
* FTC online complaint form
* Canadian PhoneBusters hotline: 888-495-8501
* Competition Bureau Canada: 800-348-5358
* Internet Fraud Complaint Center
* Software Piracy (http://www.siia.net/piracy/report.asp)
* Non-emergency number for your local police department.
If you suspect that an item posted for sale on craigslist may be part of a scam, please email the details to "firstname.lastname@example.org". Be sure to include the URL (or 10-digit post ID number) in your message.
Most scams involve one or more of the following:
* inquiry from someone far away, often in another country
* Western Union, Money Gram, cashier's check, money order, shipping, escrow service, or a "guarantee"
*Inability or refusal to meet face-to-face before consumating transaction
If you are using Craig's List please understand that they are not setup like Ebay for conducting transactions. You are on your own with them with no PayPal to protect you. This almost happened to me until I insisted them transferring the funds into my PayPal account then I never heard from them again.
Good Luck. If it sounds too good, it generally is a scam. If someone wants to send a Cashier's Check, tell them there's a 15-Day hold on them. That will scare them off because it won't take 15-day for a Chargeback to occur.