» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 476

0 members and 476 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Thread: backhand

backhand

I have some trouble in using backhand top spin.but i have good control of backhand back spin. shall i use only back spin in match or somebody can give me some tips in improving my backhand topspin?thanks.

do you use a two-handed backhand or one-handed?

i'm using one hand backhand.

First make sure you have the right grip, i have a friend who hits an amazing slice backhand, but can't hit topspin worth beans because of his grip. One way to find the right grip is to go to www.tennis.com and click on "instruction" on the left hand side, then click on "grip guide". My guess is you'd want to use an eastern backhand grip. When your preparing for the shot, you need to hold the bridge of the racquet with your left hand (if you're right handed) nice and high behind you, with your back to the opponent and make sure your weight is behind you on your left foot. The contact point has to be out in front of you, then when you swing, drop the racquet below the contact point, transfer your weight to your right foot in front of you (do this while swinging), and swing up and through the ball while keeping your right arm fully extended. keep that right arm extended all the way through the shot including the follow-through. keep your knees bent through the whole shot! i hope all that helps, don't get discouraged if it doesn't work the first time, and if you find that doing something a little different works better, then go ahead and do it, as long as it won't harm you in the long run. also, what helps is to watch the pros on tv.
    P.S. i myself use a two-handed backhand

Remember that Rosewell had one of the best backhands in the game and it was a slice one as well topspin is fine but a good reliable slice is better especially if you have a good lob to frustrate net rushers

yeah, steffi graf learned to use the backhand slice very effectively, it can be quite the weapon if you learn to use it right

this might work

If you have a strong slice backhand and need to develop a topspin, try this. Play half-court with a partner and topspin every ball back. Not only is this a great footwork drill, it will force you to keep your backswing as low as you possibly can. Keep every shot within the service box.

Topspin Backhand, one hand

Here is a great, simple, and to good to be true backhand (one or two hand) topspin practice drill I have my students perform. If your right handed, stand sideways at the net, shoulders facing the side of the court, and your right foot a couple of inches from the front of the net. Take your racquet back and down well below the level of the net. Pretend the white top portion of the net is the ball. With a nice low to high (Over shoulder) swing plane, an arm pull and nice harnessed upper body rotatation, sweep up the top of the net to your high follow through. If your racquet sticks at the net you opened your wrist and the ball would have gone very long with no topspin. If you can take a fairly agressive swing while sweeping up and hitting the top of the net with little resistance, you hit topspin. In other words, you would have hit perpendicular to the ball and the low to high swing plane will give you the topspin. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tprocurt
    Here is a great, simple, and to good to be true backhand (one or two hand) topspin practice drill I have my students perform. If your right handed, stand sideways at the net, shoulders facing the side of the court, and your right foot a couple of inches from the front of the net. Take your racquet back and down well below the level of the net. Pretend the white top portion of the net is the ball. With a nice low to high (Over shoulder) swing plane, an arm pull and nice harnessed upper body rotatation, sweep up the top of the net to your high follow through. If your racquet sticks at the net you opened your wrist and the ball would have gone very long with no topspin. If you can take a fairly agressive swing while sweeping up and hitting the top of the net with little resistance, you hit topspin. In other words, you would have hit perpendicular to the ball and the low to high swing plane will give you the topspin. Hope this helps.
    This is a great drill that I use too -- and it works well on forehand, too!

Unregistered Guest

Smile One Handed Backhand

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi
    Remember that Rosewell had one of the best backhands in the game and it was a slice one as well topspin is fine but a good reliable slice is better especially if you have a good lob to frustrate net rushers
    Find a good video for FREE of Rosewall at: http://www.tenniscruz.com/Ken_Rosewall.htm
    http://www.tenniscruz.com/Rosewall_Federer.htm
    http://www.tenniscruz.com/roger_vs_ken.htm

It is a great site with plenty of free videos and instruction

Carlyn