» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 528

0 members and 528 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Need help choosing a tennis racquet

Hey guys. I'm 16 years old and I'm new here. I started playing tennis when I was 12-13. I took basic lessons at a local racquet center/gym. I stopped playing there for a while and started playing again at 14 where I had more basic training and then underwent some tournament training. I haven't played in over a year and will be starting with a new club next Sunday.

I need to find a new racquet though. I already know the basics of tennis and I guess I'm an intermediate-level player. My swing is moderate so it's not too short or too long. I need a racquet that will give me more power but still have good control as well. I really don't want to spend too much preferably no more than in the $150's-$160's. If I MUST spend up to $200 I will but no more than that.

Anyone have any good suggestions? Also does it matter what type of stringing I get?

Tennis_Playa Guest
    Try one of the babolat brands... I just started playing tennis 7 months ago and I beat my friend in comp which he has been playing for 6 years lol . I use a babolat Pulsar Lite. I really want a new racquet since I've improved my game. Since you've had a lot of experience and have been playin for a couple of years, the aero blast would be perfect for you. My dad won't get me a aeroblast since it's too expensive and I already got a $160 racquet lol.

Details of the aeroblast:

Optimal comfort in the Aero range
    [[CLUB PLAYERS]] with a short swing looking for both power and maneuverability – as well as comfort.

CORTEX SYSTEM: FILTER+ DAMPENER Filters and dampens vibrations for maximum comfort
    HeadSize 725 cm² / 112 sq. in.
    Weight 270 g / 9.5 oz
    Composition 100% High Modulus Graphite
    Grip Soft Touch

Try: http://www.babolat.com/ (in better detail).

Hope that helps

pro example

Since most of the pros don't change from the frame the bought when being a teenager, you should consider buying some stuff with a long term view.
    You might not be an intermediate or having a short swing after a few year...
    You already got the parameter of price set up...Good thing.
    You need to do the same with weight, stiffness, head & grip sizes.
    Since I recently tried a couple of rackets, I would recommend the Babolat Pure Drive or a racket with same caracteristics, although I used to be sponsored by Wilson :-/
    Always try several times a racket before buying.
    Strings can make a great difference in the global feeling. There's lot of synthetic strings "gut like" now, with durability. The lowest tension recommended for the frame should be around the best option.
    If you think of playing competitions, by 2 rackets at once, so they'll be similar and if you break your strings you can change the frame wihtout loosing control with the replacing frame.
    If you don't have enough money, what about buying second hand from elder people (they ofen take more attention to their rackets).
    Good luck.

You might try the Volkl Dnx 8, 9 or 10. Price ranges from $129 to $169. Volkl is not as popular because they don't advertise and spend money with endorsements but the quality and feel is unbeatable.

flemby2112 Guest
    Dunlop m-fil300 really nice racquet for your skill level and you can afford 2 with your budget.