» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 517

0 members and 517 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
    CdueceF11 Guest

Right handed Ground Strokes..and a Left handed serve???

HEy i got a problem...i hit my groundstrokes right handed and my serve is left handed..i guess because all my life i have used both hands for different things...anyone else got the same problem or close to it ??

I know two people who play right handed and serve with their left hand. I worked with one as a junior and to this day hasn't change it. He went on to play college tennis for me and then on to another college. Now he's a tennis teaching pro. Go figure! I wonder what he teaches his students. By the way his lefty serve had a wicked twisting kick to it. Does yours?
    Doug
    DOUG HOFER
    USPTA Certified Tennis Professional
    USRSA Certified Professional Racquet Stringer
    Dunlop Advisory Staff

See my Pro Tips and Tennis Gear at:
    http://www.hofertennis.com

different strokes for diff folks

I worked with a student this past summer that does the same thing. Unfortunately he does it because his father is making him. His father has brainwashed this child into thinking that the left handed serve is going to be the shot that some day turns him into an ATP Pro. Unfortunately the kid is a mental basket case in a match and the confidence is being shattered. The kid has great groundstokes and has game, but at what cost. Remember, If your unorthodox and successfull go for it. Someone decided to hit a two handed backhand some days ago and look what happened! Good luck. Tprocurt@tampabay.rr.com

Cool lefty and righty decisions

I hit my serve left-handed but have a right handed forehand. Reason being, I batted left-handed in baseball and my backhand is my most potent shot. For some reason, I hit overheads right handed but can hit them lefty as well, but not with as much power. While playing in high school, I started hitting right-handed serves as well because they are much more powerful. Probably because I throw right handed. The right handed serves were inconsistant and I quit playing tennis for a few years. Now I have the tennis itch again and am trying to solidify my right handed serve so I can switch it up on my opponents. Has anyone ever played against someone who can serve from both sides? My lefty service has more spin while the right has more power. I don't know how much it will help but it might throw some people off when I switch it up on them. The only problem I have with being both handed is that when I come to the net for serve and volley, I have to switch the racquet and that leaves room for error, such as dropping the racquet or not getting the right grip. Other than that, I love the look on others faces when warming up and they notice my inconsistant hand use.

Quote Originally Posted by digidigidigi View Post
    I hit my serve left-handed but have a right handed forehand. Reason being, I batted left-handed in baseball and my backhand is my most potent shot. For some reason, I hit overheads right handed but can hit them lefty as well, but not with as much power. While playing in high school, I started hitting right-handed serves as well because they are much more powerful. Probably because I throw right handed. The right handed serves were inconsistant and I quit playing tennis for a few years. Now I have the tennis itch again and am trying to solidify my right handed serve so I can switch it up on my opponents. Has anyone ever played against someone who can serve from both sides? My lefty service has more spin while the right has more power. I don't know how much it will help but it might throw some people off when I switch it up on them. The only problem I have with being both handed is that when I come to the net for serve and volley, I have to switch the racquet and that leaves room for error, such as dropping the racquet or not getting the right grip. Other than that, I love the look on others faces when warming up and they notice my inconsistant hand use.
    You sound just like somebody I coached in high school.

To the OP: I wouldn't call this ability a "problem." Except as mentioned above, when having to switch hands for serve-and-volley.

I was astounded to that when this player missed a powerful right-handed first serve and had to switch hands for his spinny left-handed second serve, many opponents didn't even seem to notice! Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by digidigidigi View Post

Just out of curiosity, what hand do you write with??

Cool

I write with my left hand. I've been playing alot this summer and my lefty serve just won't get any more powerful. I am 6'4 and should by banging in my serve as well as getting to the net. Therefore, I am working on my right handed serve and after a few buckets of balls, I am getting them in. The hardest part of this is getting my toss right. the motion comes naturally from throwing right handed and I get more pop. I switch to lefty when playing friends for the second serve but have yet to throw out a right handed serve competitively. Is it true that a service motion shouldn't use alot of shoulder rotation? Reason being, I have a separated shoulder and chose not to get in operated on.