» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 517

0 members and 517 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

returning serves

i have the hardest time returning serves that are hit fast and hard. they most of the time seem to bounce lower when they are hit fast making it even harder to return. do you have any tips on returning serves? i am losing too many points that way and i would love it if i could learn how to return hard fast serves.

Personally I wouldn't try to swing hard just to get it back, it's too inaccurate. I simply just volley it back from the baseline so that the pace gets rebounded resulting in a volley looking like a forehand.

The two rivals

I agree with sliced. Don't try to hit it too hard. It comes down to basics - watch the ball very intensely, and get your feet into good positioning.
    If it's coming hard and fast, prepare for a defensive shot without too much swing on it - focusing just getting the ball back over the net, preferably deep.
    And practice makes perfect. Try to play with people who have strokes/serves you have problems with so you can improve.

where would i hit a return to make it a 'agressive return'? i play serve-and-volley so the #1 thing i wanna do is make him cough up a short or easy ball to put away. i've tried chip and charge and it works about half the time but other times they can put it in a position which is very hard to get to.

by the way, thanks for the tips!

Returning

Max,

Two things that can improve your return right away are widening your stance and shortening your swing. If you get a change to watch any tennis on tv, watch how wide their stance and split step are. This gives you a solid base and even if you shank the ball it has a greater chance of going in. And shortening your swing will give you more time to line up your racket with the ball and block it back where you want to. Good Luck!
    www.tennisguru.com
    Get Re-Strung!

THe answer is simple: Bending your knees is crucial when the ball gets low. Also when the ball comes fast and hard you must not have a big backswing. Take short compact swings and block the ball when it comes really very fast. Personally, i find that when i increase racquet head speed and sometimes use more of my wrist, more pronation of the racquet head i find it generates more spin thus enabling me to return. im not trying to hit it hard but im trying to put more spin on the ball.