» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 761

0 members and 761 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by federer0001 View Post
    WHat are some of your opinions on heavy racquets and light racquets? WHich do you prefer? Light weight racquets are good for beginners and is less clumsy and is good when one wants to increase racquet head speed. But i know that heavy racquets can help increase the weight when hitting a heavy ball.
    I'd start testing @ 10 oz minimum especially if you plan on playing with Synthetic strings !!

Quote Originally Posted by {HLP}Maximus View Post
    ok light raquets are good for beginners and are usually the larger head sized ones too like 105 square inches or more. once you start to hit the balls harder then you dont want to have a lighter raquet because it vibrates more because there is less momentum coming from a lighter raquet and also it will be very unforgiving if you dont hit the sweet spot or you hit the frame which will happen more the faster you begin to play.

heavier raquets are usually smaller like under 105 square inches and they have a lot more control and stability then the lighter raquets that you may use. they are very forgiving and it really helps that even when you mis-hit a ball it will still sometimes go in and give you another chance - something that a lighter raquet will not do. Heavier raquets, crazy as it may sound, are also better for your elbow because the raquet weight will change the direction of the ball rather than putting stress on your elbow when you are making a power shot. i personally have tried both light raquets and heavy raquets and as i have progressed and become better i have gradually changed to heavier raquets. then when i go back every once in a while to my lighter raquets, then i can really feel how unforgiving they are compared to my current wilson ntour 10.2 ounce raquet.

proof of heavier raquets for better hitters is the pros. Almost all of them use heavier raquets that help stabilize their shots and are forgiving when needed. Roger Federer, he uses a raquet that weighs 12.6 ounces!!! that is very heavy but gives him the control nessisary to win. another example is the ncode six-one 95 raquet which is the most popular raquet used on tour and this raquet weighs in the 11 ounce range and almost all doubles players use it as well as many singles players as well. does that help?
    excellent feedback

I've been reading some of these responses and I'm a bit confused by some of the responses (especially to LeeD's). I started out with a Wilson Pro-Staff and to be honest (pretty heavy), it was alright...since it was given to me, I really didn't have much choice anyway. But, that racket wasn't for me. When I went to using a Prince CTS Synergy and the Michael Chang Classic, it was clear that light rackets are funner to hit with. I can win a quicker/cheaper point with a light oversize racket.

I know that oversize rackets are going out of style b/c the power game is starting to become more dominant but I feel when you get to a certain level you should be able to adjust to all sorts of game play.

I like both, it just depends who it is for and what their skill level is. Older people and new players usually should start with lighter racquets.I think once accustomed to the racquet, heavier racquets are better.

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC360 View Post
    I like both, it just depends who it is for and what their skill level is. Older people and new players usually should start with lighter racquets.I think once accustomed to the racquet, heavier racquets are better.
    light racquets do seem to be pushed around. i have a Head titanium Ti.S5... it was a mistake to some degree. i have to be so careful with my swing's consistency or lack there of.

this thread has been very helpful.

Talking Unstuck

I got stuck in the light racquet trap for a long time until i was listening to LEE.D and i agree with him. The only power that come with control isfrom a heavy racquet. The one exception i have found is the BIG BUBBA. That is because it has a thin hoop and lower power rating
    The biggest thing is do you spend enough time on your tennis to hit the ball in the center with the smaller headed racquets. The smaller head is more manuverable and will not get pushed around due to the weight.
    The biggest thing is the weight makes your strokes better. It simply does not allow you to flick at the ball. You are required to hit proper strokes and the percentages for you go up.

Quote Originally Posted by haretrigger View Post
    I got stuck in the light racquet trap for a long time until i was listening to LEE.D and i agree with him. The only power that come with control isfrom a heavy racquet. The one exception i have found is the BIG BUBBA. That is because it has a thin hoop and lower power rating
    The biggest thing is do you spend enough time on your tennis to hit the ball in the center with the smaller headed racquets. The smaller head is more manuverable and will not get pushed around due to the weight.
    The biggest thing is the weight makes your strokes better. It simply does not allow you to flick at the ball. You are required to hit proper strokes and the percentages for you go up.
    it's strange how just several ounces can make such a difference.

medium-heavy not like the old ones that were REALLY heavy

yea, my Mom has a wooden racquet. playing with it makes one appreciate legends like Bjorn Borg.