» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 557

0 members and 557 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Heavy racquets vs, Light racquets

WHat are some of your opinions on heavy racquets and light racquets? WHich do you prefer? Light weight racquets are good for beginners and is less clumsy and is good when one wants to increase racquet head speed. But i know that heavy racquets can help increase the weight when hitting a heavy ball.

I've experimented with both light and heavy racquets and I prefer using a heavy one like The wilson prostaff classic or head prestige. The heavier rackets seems to make make my body become more aware where and how my racquet is position while preparing to hit a ball. Sometimes when I use a light racquet, I tend to swing too early although I can generate more control and topspin. But I rather have a good timing while hitting the ball using a heavier racquet.

Mike

ok light raquets are good for beginners and are usually the larger head sized ones too like 105 square inches or more. once you start to hit the balls harder then you dont want to have a lighter raquet because it vibrates more because there is less momentum coming from a lighter raquet and also it will be very unforgiving if you dont hit the sweet spot or you hit the frame which will happen more the faster you begin to play.

heavier raquets are usually smaller like under 105 square inches and they have a lot more control and stability then the lighter raquets that you may use. they are very forgiving and it really helps that even when you mis-hit a ball it will still sometimes go in and give you another chance - something that a lighter raquet will not do. Heavier raquets, crazy as it may sound, are also better for your elbow because the raquet weight will change the direction of the ball rather than putting stress on your elbow when you are making a power shot. i personally have tried both light raquets and heavy raquets and as i have progressed and become better i have gradually changed to heavier raquets. then when i go back every once in a while to my lighter raquets, then i can really feel how unforgiving they are compared to my current wilson ntour 10.2 ounce raquet.

proof of heavier raquets for better hitters is the pros. Almost all of them use heavier raquets that help stabilize their shots and are forgiving when needed. Roger Federer, he uses a raquet that weighs 12.6 ounces!!! that is very heavy but gives him the control nessisary to win. another example is the ncode six-one 95 raquet which is the most popular raquet used on tour and this raquet weighs in the 11 ounce range and almost all doubles players use it as well as many singles players as well. does that help?

I think light racquets have a place, certainly in recreational tennis & for novice players. However heavy racquets (12.5 oz +) are great to hit with, & offer me anyway superior direction in my game.

I dont know if the answer is a simple one. Age & power & level of play have a lot to do with it. I think a lot of people play with frames that are too demanding for them. I buy and sell a lot of racquets on e-bay so i get to try a lot. I am going to give one example of what i mean the BIG BUBBA. Everyone laughs at it but, it has a power rating of 1050 and a thin profile frame. The new PRINCE WHITE a players racquet has a power level of 1000. So is the BIG BUBBA a control racquet? I know that i can hit full out and bring the ball in(I am 60 & take no backswing) In doubles chip & charge on the serve is easy.
    To tell the truth i hate playing with it because of all the crap you get from other people.
    I find myself playing better with this than any racquet so far.
    So i might just end up playing with a racquet i hate!!

I worry more about how fast and heavy the INCOMING ball is. Heavy rackets can handle mishits, hit thru, and require me to prepare earlier and better, and have correct strokes, which in turn make me into a better player.
    Light rackets, while great for ad lib off balance shots, tend to enhance bad technique, so overall, the tennis game gets worst!
    Mfil 200, 12.4 oz, poly 62 lbs.

Talking I like parts of heavy racquets

I belive when you are receiving very heavy balls the weight of racquet is a must. Those balls are only hit by young very advanced players(Which is only a small part) I just received some 338 grm or 12.07 oz 95 sq in JENRO racquet. It is solid as a rock and i can hit in the center but i think ligther racquets with good follow through serve as well for most players against most opponents. I use one thats 295grm or 10.5 oz most of the time.
    I think really looking at racquet specs and understanding good technique is the answer.
    I rember picking up some big Wilsons that were rocket launchers but the Big Bubba has control. So its not always straight foward

Consider....
    In the world of tennis, we play against all kinds of hitters. Some hard, some soft, some varied, some in between.
    Mostly we choose ONE kind of racket for all our hitting.
    Mostly we want to get better at tennis.
    Now WHO of the above would I want my racket best prepared to play for?
    Wierdly phrased question, but I don't care about the soft hitter, I care about playing well against solid hitting GOOD players.
    Your choice... do you want to beat lower level players or the ones better than you?

Ok I WILL BITE

Give me some specs. What weight is too light? Break it down to under what exact weight is to light. Give me what head size you think is too big to have control. Power levels or flex rating that have a bearing

Spent some time

Well i spent some time with my heavyweight 12+oz or 338 grm 95 head JENRO racquet. I had 2 good days with it. If you can hit the ball in the center of your racquet and handle the weight you get rewarded in different ways than with a ligther racquet. The ligther racquets have benifits as well.
    I am in the process of buying a PLAYMATE ball machine to practice with. So i should be able to compare the different weight racquets side by side and give a more refined! opinion.
    So give me a month and i should be able to give the fine points of both weights

Well, if you're too weak to swing the 12oz racket, then you need a bigger, lighter weight hoop.
    If you can't see well enough to hit the 95, then I'd advise bigger.
    And if you prepare too late for the 12oz'er, a lighter weight racket will allow you to get the racketface on the ball with late prep.
    However, if you want to get better in tennis, then a 12+ soft racket will take you there, while the stiffer, bigger, lighter racket will keep your game just the way it is.
    Just my take, some pro men used 11.5 oz rackets, some use 108's.

Talking I am leaning your way

I am leaning more in your direction. On the 95 in head i dont think eye site is a problem the way i look at the ball is just before contact making sure i am meeting the ball in the center of the racquet. I feel that takes the eye site part out. I can pretty much hit the center on all shots on that 95 without any problems. Weight of racquet is only a matter of adjustment.
    In the old days little girls & little old ladies played with very heavy wood racquets.
    With the ligther racquets you can probably accelarate more which has certain advantages. Serena & Venus Williams used game improvement racquets up until 2 yrs ago.
    When i used the BIG BUBBA on volleys i could smoke them. AS i slice across and down on volleys i assume the extra head gave more bite.
    Having said that when i used an oversize racquet i had to be very picky to find one that had a control level as well.
    I spend time every day hitting against a rebound net which i feel is why i can hit a clean ball. So let me try my 12 oz for a month and report back

Well, our courts get shaded in the PM's. It's alway bright sunshine and blue skies, so shade makes for poor vision.
    For those conditions, I choose a 115 10.4oz Tstick so I don't mishit much. That huge hoop, coupled with lightness, makes for cleaner contact when vision is a problem. Also for night courts with lights missing
    Seem no problem switching back and forth. Just gotta tell yourself to stroke longer and prep sooner with the heavier, smaller racket.

Mines like 330g , thats pretty heavy. Better for more advanced players, playing with thoose light big headed things is just like, wth.

What is wth ?
    I notice some somewhat decent players in the 4.0 range like really light rackets. They are the ones who moonball, volley, and angle, even when warming up.
    I tend to like to try to improve my game, so go for deep, steady, solid pace balls and more traditional striking speeds, so a heavy racket is an advantage.
    Just what you like, and how you want to play.