» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 534

0 members and 534 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Reasons why Federer is better than Sampras

Pete Sampras is one the greatest tennis players of all times, however Federer's all court game, intuition, and diverse ability makes Roger better than Sampras. Sampras,in my mind, is the best server (consistent) and will probably never be another like him. But Federer has a "tremedous" baseline game with a very strong and accurate forehand, good backhand and vollying skills. And lets not forget that Roger also has a good serve and can kick it up a notch when he feels the pressure is on. Ive never seen another tennis player that can pick up another level as quickly as roger. ALot of tennis players pick up their level too late in the game to later find out that their behind two sets and down a break. Roger has a better game to break his opponent than Sampras. Ive seen Sampras wait for the right moment and break a few times but federer seems to do it quite regularly. And Unfortunately Sampras's backhand return of serve is not good. It can make a few good shots, thats it. Its not consistent like rogers. WHat do you think?

I agree. Roger is a genius on the court. He can turn the tables real easily even when he's down a few game points. Thats when you see his face - figuring out his opponent, as if he scans for weaknesses and strong points. He may not have the fastest serve or have a powerful forehand and backhand but he can add variety to his shots, changing the rhythm to stay in control. I think Roger is more of a strategical type of player. It will be cool to watch another player like Roger play against him. But thats just what I think.....

I agree. I think Roger has better ground shots than Sampras, mainly because of the variety he introduces. Roger is very good on the volley, but so was Pete and I can't separate them on the overhead. Pete's serve was a fantastic weapon. He could generate enormous pace with seemingly little effort. Roger's serve is good. His placement is exceptional. The one thing you might point a finger at is the low first serve percentage. At the Australian Open it was around 48, but then he gets away with this with his second serve. No one seems to be able to get on top of his second serve kicker, so he generally holds serve fairly easily.

At least that stats say he's better. Federer's mental game is so strong.