» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 216

0 members and 216 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
    alex Guest

Tennis Racquets Helpful Tips. How to pick the right racquet.

Check out http://www.tennisracquets.com they have tennis racquets helpful tips & how to pick the right racquet. Also they have a tennis racquets database to make things easier for everyone. So check it out if your interested because it helped me out & I got a lot of information that I needed.

Question

Is this site out of business? I clicked on the link and it is not available.

no
    there s a mistake on the URL
    http://www.tennisracquets.com/
    here it is

rick Guest
    The most important aspect of racket selection is your swing speed/style. You must resist the temptation of buying a racket that is too powerfull or not powerfull enough for your swing. You should not have to modify your swing to the racket. Playing with a racket that is too pwerfull for your swing speed will actually eliminate power from your game in match situations. You will have to slow your swing down to keep the ball in play which will result in a ball with little pace and depth. Remember to generate pace you need to be fluid at all times. You can't afford to worry about adjusting your swing to the ball. Granted this advice is more suited for a someone that has been playing for a little while already, but the opposite is true also. If you have a short swing you should not play with a racket that offers control as it's main characteristic. This too will force you to adjust your swing. You will find yourself swinging harder to generate pace, but your technique will not allow it as yet. You will find that you are now out of your comfort zone(swing wise) and again you will see less pace and depth.

Tennis warehouse is the offical shop for atp.Also they have useful information on choosing a racket.Check it out.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/lcfrontpage.html

Zylon360 Guest
    I will disagree here with Rick (see above). While I do agree that one should select a racquet that suits ones swing style, I disagree that "one should not worry about chaning swing speed during a match".

When I play, I usually stick to the baseline and swing away. However, I am forcing myself to approach the net from time to time or as needed to change things up a bit. Now when I am at the baseline I often change my swing speed to mix up things a bit. Staying too consistent can hurt you in the long match if you are playing someone who is talented at reading your style.

I usually stick to a topspin forehand and a double-handed backhand. However I will slice both groundstrokes from time to time. So, if I do this, I am both changing my style and speed "temporarily, or if it is throwing my opponent off indefinetly" throughout the match.

Weather also plays a factor in my swing speed. I play on a court that overlooks the ocean. the court is high enough that wind is usually NOT a factor when I play, but it can surprise one from time to time. So, naturally my swing is going to change to fit the surrounding variables. So, I will agree that it is important to pick a racquet which is suited for ones swing style based on the majority with which it is used, but this theory can equally be proven faulty by many an experienced player and coach.

Not my intention to start an argument. Merely a noted disagreement.

rick Guest
    I understand what you are saying in regards to adjust to the game situations. we all have to make adjustments during a match.
    The information about swing speed is to be used to choose a racquet.
    At no time would you want to adjust/slow your swing just to keep the ball in play, nor do you want to over-hit just so the ball reaches the service line. You want always to be completely relaxed and confident with your racquet. The more relaxed you are the more power and control you will generate.
    The racquet itself should be the last thing on your mind when playing. It should allow you to hit as hard or as softly as you want. It should allow you to impart as much topspinn or slice as needed without giving up the confidence to do so.

Zylon360 Guest
    once again we seem to be at an impass Rick. You said "at no time do you want to adjust/slow your swing just to keep the ball in play" No, no, no. That is precisely what players do when faced with playing defence and it is precisely what players do when facing adverse wind all of the sudden. The speed of the swing is often changed to get the ball back into the opponents court and in play rather than short, wide or long.

I don't understand your misunderstanding of this concept. I agree that one should go with a racquet that is rated for fast swing speed if in fact the player swings fast or moderately fast. However and this is where the fine print is Rick.

A Good tennis player can take that racquet and adjust his speed accordingly and still get the ball in play. I can't tell you how many times I changed my swing speed and how many times it has meant that I won the match. Changing conditions call for changing adjustments. I have played in Flordia where sudden winds are the norm. I now play in Malaysia next to the ocean where once again sudden weather can make for some sudden and interesting gameplay situations that are not human.

So, I don't get what you said about swing speed should not change. When we place the drop-shot speed definitely changes. would you agree? Now, if I am using a racquet that is rated for a fast swinger like myself, will I miss more than I get those drop-shots over the net? You see my point. Now, I will tell you this as well, and possibly this is just from experience. I teach tennis, so I have alot of "beater" racquest lying around. Now, I can grab one of those and rip on the ball and get a good groundstroke. Now, there are obvious differences which is why I paid more money for my game racquets rather than using the cheap-o's. Point is, it matters not which racquet a player uses, if that player does not know properly how to hit the ball in a plethora of types of situations. This is why we have the rating system and why we should not buy racquets just because Pete Sampras or Agassi supposedly uses the same model. Now, I could go on in my theories and point out to you other inconsistenceies in yours, but I do not want to get personal about this, so I will say. Good luck. You are certainly entitled to believe what you wish. Ba-bye.

P.S. If one is overhitting or not clearing the net consistently, it could be timing and set-up. Lots of variables go into the error.
    Last edited by Zylon360; 04-21-2004 at 04:02 AM.

rick Guest
    It may be a question of semantics., but I think you are missing my point. I agree with you, in that a player must adjust his swing in the context of a point/match situation. What I am refering to is someone with a fast swing speed purchasing a racquet rated for a slow swing speed player. In that circumstance the player has to shorten his stroke to keep the ball in play. You must agree that this is not the ideal stroke you want to teach? You want him to loosen up and swing as opposed to shorten/tighten his stroke.
    Your points are valid in there context. In the case of a novice as teaching pros we should put a racquet in the hand of our pupil that will allow him to feel confident at all times. We both know that in game situations that we must speed-up or slow-down our swing in relation to the demand of the point/weather/opponent.

Zylon360 Guest
    Rick I now see your point of saying what you did. I agree. well, gotta get back to watching the Monte Carlo Masters. See ya around here sometime

Unregistered Guest

Racquet selection

There are numerous websites that offer tips on racquet selection. Here's one that I frequent a lot and find it very good. However, I also believe that speaking with a local teaching pro who knows your style and strokes can be very helpful in helping you make a racquet selection that best fits your game.
    Before discussing this with a local pro, visit this web site and get as much information about racquets that also best fit your price range and what you are willing to spend. Are you a league player ? Do you only play occassionally ? There are many variables.

Visit this site. http://www.tennissavvy.com

Tennis Rackets

You must understand your game style in order to purchase the right racket for you. If you are a steady baseliner who enjoys to sit back and crush ground strokes then a head heavy racket probably isn’t the best option. I would recommend the Babolat pure drive. Yet if you like to finish points off at the net or look for the short ball then I recommend the Wilson K-factor

Visit this site for more tennis rackets
    http://www.thelge.com

Authorized Seller Of Wilson, Head, Prince, Babolat, Dunlop

What started out as a local pro shop in the early 1990s has exploded into a global phenomenon, selling racquets world-wide. The Racket Guy has been servicing North America and the rest of the world for nearly 10 years. With an expert and friendly staff, we provide the highest quality of service known to the tennis world. Come check us out!!

Our eBay Stores: http://stores.ebay.com/Racketguy

Our Temp. Website: www.racquetbroker.com

Or you can call us at 1-888-589-6888 and email at racketguy@racquetbroker.com

ALL OF OUR RACQUETS include the original carrying case/cover, the full manufacturer's warranty, and are brand new with the plastic on the handle.

Have fun on the courts!

Racket Guy

something i haven't really heard yet... DEMO!!!! you gotta try before you buy... also, KFactor isn't a specific racquet, there are about 20 different KFactor racquets...You can't buy a racquet off of a review... I've put racquets into many people's hands and there is a visible difference in the swing when a racquet is suited for a player.. they swing with fluidity and confidence... try lots of racquets out.

I would like to know what does POWER written on a racquet mean. Is it related to age of a player?