» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 750

0 members and 750 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It does come down to personal preference, but the one-hander is much better for very competitive players. It is easier to go either down the line or crosscourt, and it's much tougher to read which one it is before the swing. With a two-hander, it's pretty easy because if they have an open stance, they can't go down the line effectively, so the natural shot is crosscourt. And if the player has a closed stance, the more natural shot is down the line, although you shouldn't rule out crosscourt.
    Tennis is the meaning of life.

Unregistered Guest
    I personally prefer the two hander, but I use the one handed slice and one handed volley. U cant say if one is better than the other. Both have its advantages and cons.Two of the best backhands in the history of the game...the two hander of agassi and one hander of edberg.

I think each player has to find out what's the better backhand for him/her. I used to play the two-handed backhand and switched a couple of years ago and it was the best thing for me to do...

I wouldn't say that one or the other is easier to learn. It depends from player to player and an also important factor is your coach!

That's just my opinion ...

s-t-3-f

Unregistered Guest

one handed backhand

The reason I play the one handed backhand is the versatility. Once you get the feel for it,the slice becomes natural then, power comes along later I found.

Talking

i think stef is right

Pat_Argentina Guest
    I'm only just a beginner at this whole tennis thing, and I've only been playing for 7 months. The two-hand backhand came extremelly naturally to me. I just learned the right grip, the right standing position and movement, and off it went, with lots of speed and top spin. I think it's my best stroke so far. On the other hand, my boyfriend's been playing for several years, and he has a great single-hand backhand stroke. So I think it has to do with a personal preference too.

henin rox

Red face

The two handed backhand flat out is the most inovative shot, and technical change in the history of tennis. It's easier to learn, easier to teach and progression is quicker which is critical for the students frame of mind and confidence to play the game. However it is not for everybody, It just feels unnatural for some. Myself included, I can't hit it for squat. Now don't get me wrong I love the one handed backhand, I am a former ATP playing Pro with a one hander and a big server and volley game. I can safely say, I have never worked so hard in my life than serving and volleying against a world class two handed backhand. Playing against two power controll shots on both sides I believe is one of the reasons you see so much baseline power tennis and less serve and volley game. Each type of backhand has its own ups and downs and each are very efective. It's your choice as to whats feels good to you as well as how it will work into your style of play. Good luck! Tprocurt

Talking

henin unbeatable

heh

right...

Talking

thx tibor 4 agreeing

Unregistered Guest
    one handeds are sexier, two handed are better

of course both backhands have advantages. i myself play with two handed backhands. i like it. it does give me more control and power. i think one handed backhand is a more beautiful stroke though

Both backhands?

Although some pros I hit with tell me to settle on one, I will use the one-hand if I want to hit slice, drops or lobs, especially if I am out of position.

The 2-hand is to drive down the line and angle cross.

Weird, but the well hit 1-hand gives more pace, but I am usually too chicken to use it offensively in a match.

You took the words right out of my mouth, I suffer from the same case of not being able to use just one although as of late in practice I have really been working on the one handed with good results but it just does not feel right, so my trust in it is not the greatest, the problem I have been having is putting to much spin on the ball, to the point where my brand new racquet needs the strings ajusted after every shot not just every point. I am no pro by any meens just a weekend warrior who enjoys pushing himself but lacks a reliable partner (the old ball machine just aint the same) and wishes he could be like Monica and hit double handed both ways, minus the wah-hees