» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 725

0 members and 725 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
    mcgwirefan Guest

Are tall players more fragile?

As a tall person, I have taken notice of how much more frequently taller tennis players are injured. Venus (6'1" and Serena (5'8-11" depending on who you ask), Lindsay Davenport (6'2"), Monica Seles (5'10"), Mary Pierce (5'10-11"), Todd Martin (6'6") jsut for examples.

It seems like shorter players are more durable, although everyone has had injuries, they don't seem to be as long lasting. Exceptions being Martina Hingis and Anna Kournikova who are about 5'7" and 5'8". Am I off base here?

i don't think there's any real truth to that, i'm sort of tall myself for a male, being 5' 11", and i've taken dozens of tumbles and falls (i'm a hustler) and have never injured myself further than some scratches and bruises; then again, there are always exceptions. My guess is that it appears that all the tall people are gettin injured because most tennis players ARE tall.

Benini07 Guest
    I am not really sure about that one being Like
    around 5'5". I see alot of tall players but they rarely
    get hurt. If they do then it's only like a Bruise or a scratch.

TopSpin469 Guest
    the answer to that is no.......im 6-3 and ive never had any broken bones or stiches......i drink tons of milk and how you condition for your matches

I'm 6'2", don't like milk and have never broken a bone in my life. I do tend to pull muscles a lot though, but it's probably because I'm not disciplined enough when it comes to warming up and down properly. I do have a fairly high pain threshold though, so I play through most injuries. Remember, professional players wont risk playing even if theres a tiny chance they might be carrying an injury (unless you are Pete Sampras who would play with a broken leg).