» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 552

0 members and 552 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Is Agassi the greatest player ever?

I know Sampras won more grand slams but Agassi won more matches and the only one still playing to have won all 4 grand slams on all surfaces
    hey

agassi is not the best player probably up there but not the best

GaSqUeT

Talking

and u dont have brains

To answere yourn questions

For clueless: I got my information from CBS:tennis. They have a lot of information.

For I love Henin: Those are my two favorite players, and I use fedroger to log in because it was easy to remember.

For pointless and meaningless knowledge: It's tennis forum, dumbass!

Anyways, Sampras is the best because he accomplished the most on the court, in my opinion. I used Samprass to argue the Agassi point, that's all. Like I said, Federer will probably be the best, but until he wins 10 or more slam titles, he will be 2nd, and Sampras will still rule.

Unregistered Guest

excuse me

you go ahead, you have your pointless and meaningless life. sorry for interfering.

Talking

that was a cool idea
    and surely sampras will still rule and federer wont fet 13 grand slams
    i love henin
    and she wont lose a single match
    i hope

difucult

hey everybody!

I've red almost everything has been written here...many different opinions...My favourite as a kid was Sampras. He was my favourite in 1995 when people were on their way of saying, well this guy might break every rekord. Well, I have an interesting observation to shere...

Sampras turned pro in 1988.
    Federer turned pro in 1998.
    Sampras won his first slam in 1990 - US Open
    Federer won his first slam in 2003 - Wimbledon.
    Sampras won his second slam in 1993 - Wimbledon.
    Federer won his second in 2004 - Australian Open.
    Sampras won his third in 1993 - US Open.
    Federer won his third in 2004 Wimbledon.
    Sampras won his fourth in 1994 - Australian Open.
    Federer won his foruth in 2004 - US Open.
    Sampras won his fith in 1994 - Wimbledon.

Compare it, there is a decade distance between the two of them. Their slam performances are pretty similar. Only that Federer win his first slam later in his career. So that is 1+ for Sampars. Sampras didn's won the US in 1994 as Federe did in 2004. So 1+ for Federer. They are evey up to know. Sampras won the 1995 US, will Federer win the 2005 US???

Well, regarding the disputes here, who might be the greatest ever, it is very difficult to say. What kind of player Rod Laver would have become, if he playes in the 1990's? Obviously tennis became in time much more competitie and the Sampras of today obviously would have beaten the Laver in 1962...every generation has his outstandig palyer. Federer seems to be sombody who might catch Sampras in time. Still, there is a long way to go. He has to win at least 9 more slams and finish the world ranking 4 more times at no 1 spot. That is not going to be easy. If someone can do that, than Federer is the man IMO, but he has to play 6-7 years from now. That is a long time...to keep this kind of dominant form, hm, that will not be easy at all!

The way Federer is playing now and days, he probably is the best, especially of his generation, there is no doubt about it! Still, Federer has opponents like Hewitt, Safin, Roddick, Nadal is a new one. His opponents are not really troubeling him. Sampras started in the late 1980's and played Lendl, Connors and McEnroe too. I am not saying those guys were as competitive like 5-10 years later, but he cought them, and played them, he played connors twice, he beat him twice, he played McEnroe 3 times, bet him 3 times, he played Lendl 8 times, beat him 5 times, including on his way to his 1st us crown...

Nevertheless, he had tought opponent as his career. Edberg and Bercker should be considerer first. Then Courrier, Ivanisevici, Chang and Michael Stich. All of them managed to reach "at least" the no 2. in the world rankings. Those were tought opponents. And then, probalby his toughest one, Agassi. They played 34 times. Sampras won 20 of them. In the slams, well, they met 2 at the aussie open, Agassi won both of them. At the french they met once, Agassi won that in '92. At Wimbledon they met twice, Sampras won both matches, in 1993 and 1999 - the final. Then the US, they met 4 times at the US, 3 times in the final. Sampras won all 4. On his way sampras had Muster, Rios, Krajicek and some other tought opponents. I think at that time Sampras had a much harder time then Federer has today. One might say, well, Federer is simply too god for everybody, that cold mean though, he is in front of his generation, and he is really outstanding, and he is the all time greatest. I don't know, that is a tough call and I think such a call should't be even made...let's agree, that Agassi, Sampras, Laver, Emmerson, Federer, all of them are/were magnificent players...

thnx if you read that
    Last edited by Tibor; 07-27-2005 at 06:32 PM.

I like Agassi, he was and is fun to watch, don't get me wrong. Yes, his latter game has improved since he first came on the tour. But facts inpress me, not someone's biased opinion of their favorite player. No offense.

Good job, Tibor. You impressed me with your knowledge.

:)

Fedroger, your Sampras-Federer stat's aren't bad either I have to agree with you when you say it is kind of annoying, when everybody says his or her favourite player is the best ever. Facts, they really speak for themselvs.

well, in the last 10 years I spent really a lot of time with tennis, and the ammount of information in my head about tennis is to be considered. Thnx for the compliment!

Talking

wat do you think abt sexy henin

:d

hm, what do I think about sexy Henin? She is a great player. At the begining, when she came on the tour, I never thought she could become that good. She surprised me actually the most at the US Open, when she won, in 2003. She is quite small, and she has a heck of a serve. Look at Hingis. She was 3 cm highter then Henin, but her serve can't come near to Henins. She can sometimes play actually serve and volley. She played her very fist slam final at Wimbledon, let's not foget that. She woun't win Wimbledon 7 times like Graf did, but I think she has the potential to win on graas at least once too. I like Henin as a player too, she is one of my favourites

Talking

ure cool
    u know so many facts.
    and u think henin is sexy
    ure awesome
    whos ure favourite lady tennis player?

Quote Originally Posted by i love henin
    ure cool
    u know so many facts.
    and u think henin is sexy
    ure awesome
    whos ure favourite lady tennis player?

I don't have a favourite player, I guess. I like Klijsters, Henin, Davenport, the russian girls, everybody who playes good tennis. I am not thrilled by the Williams sisters that much, they are very good as well. I liked Graf a lot, I think she was my favourite, and Amanca Coetzer. I don't know why, but she was so small, 9 cm smaller then Henin. Anyway, times pased, those players aren't acitve anymore, I am not that kind of fan anymore

Talking

ure totally right

Hi,

oh no, Rod Laver is the greatest tennis player ever (hence my humble nick name...).

He won the Grand Slam in the early 60s, then turned professional for several years.
    The professionals were then not allowed to enter amateur tournaments, such as
    the four Grand Slam ones (Wimbledon, French, American and Australian).
    He soon became the best professional player and then, when the rules changed and all tournaments got opened for the pros, he could enter them again. He started to get older then, but nevertheless he won the Grand Slam once again, the only player that won Grand Slam more than once.

Had the tournaments been open for pros all those years he would most probably have crushed all resistance for so many years that the discussion about the greatest player ever, would have been answered in everyones conciousness.

He was the complete player, McEnroe and Sampras, Federer and Nadal in one (and Agassi). All the Laver strokes were missiles and he could hit them anytime from any part of the court and in any situation. He combined a horrifying strengh and power with a delicate touch, creating both thunder and pieces of art, playing with great imagination, unpredictable in all ways but one: game, set and match!... Please tell me to stop...

(a) Laver (fan)

hm

have you read my previous, big, long post? I didn't say definitely that Sampras is the best and that is it. I saw Laver play, but only on tape. I thik he really was awesome. But if you read my post, you know how I think about the players of the '60's. Lets not comprae somone who played most of his career in the '60's and somebody who played in the '90's. That's how I feel about it...both were more then fanatastic players.