» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 516

0 members and 516 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Thread: Racket Brands

Racket Brands

Alright, so I'm new to tennis and buyin a racket. I wanna get a nice one, atleast not a begginer. I'm a mid-strength kinda guy, not neccisarilly lookin for an oversized. What do u guys think, Wilson, Head, what?

prince triple threat series all the way! there are a number of prince TT racquets, i've played with three myself and i like them all, i use a TT attitude but i'm hoping to get a different one at the moment. I don't know all the complicated science of the stuff but the prince TT racquets have these three "weights"; one at 10 o'clock, one at 2 o'clock and one on the bottom of the handle, all of which i believe increases the size of the sweet spot. Of course, the best way to choose a racquet is to demo it first, and make sure it suits your style. If the place you buy your racquet doesn't let you demo it first, don't buy there.

Look also at Head rackets

i hate to go back on my word but he's right, head racquets are really good. And to make it worse... i recently purchased a head Ti. classic and i like it more than my prince TT attitude.... oh well

If possible try as many rackets out as you can, go to your local tennis club and ask people to try thier rackets out. Theres no single racket I can recommend that suits everyone - everyone is different. I've always gone with Wilson rackets, they've always done me proud.

Take a look at this.

It helps you pick the right racket for your style. I have the Wilson H6 103 (oversize), its perfect for my game.

good rackets

Definately demo rackets. If possible, try to use a ball machine. For example, at my old tennis club, we could grab five, six, ten, rackets if we wanted, walk outside to the ball machine and hit. I won't take you long to figure out which feels good.
    If that is not an option, try a few from a store, but be sure to take them back fast...the nicer you are about that, the better they are about bending over backwards for you.

I love Head rackets. I used the radical for several years and the iExtreme. They suit my game best. I do not like Wilson rackets. I played with a Hammer for about yr, until I could get a new Head. I also like Prince rackets. I would opt for a midsize instead of an oversize. Just remember you dont' have to spend alot of money to get a good racket. You can get a great racket for $150 or less.

Also, if you are playing more doubles, I'd go for stiff racket. If you are playing more singles, try a more flexable one.

good luck!

Zylon360 Guest
    Well, my opinion on your question will differ from those answered already. It is my own opinion that the market for racquets is ever changing and since it is not long before "the newest invention to improve your game" is developed and released to retail the competition is high.

Gimmicks will not improve your game the way they are said to 95% of the time. I have played many people who can simply pick up a beater racquet and beat me or whoever they wanted to play. Sure, comfort and the stiffness is vital in the longrun to reduce injury, but if you are a beginner to intermediate who plays only once every other week, consider a low end model.

Now, be sure to demo as many as you can and "do not" buy the wal-mart version of any racquet which is usually in two pieces. One piece racquets are superior to those rock launchers.

Each brand will boast of something better than the other brand and just because Andy Roddick uses a Babolat does not mean you will wield that brand as effectively. If you can not play tennis with a beater, then you most likely will struggle in frustration with the $100+ racquet you just purchased. You do want something that will be used consistently, but consider the above advice when seeking out a racquet.

I personally use a Zylon360 Pure drive, but if my strings broke I could easily and effectively switch to using my back-up Wilson Hyper hammer 4.3 OS. I would always go back to the Zylon as quickly as possible, but that is just common sense when playing at least 3 times a week.

Thumbs up

personally, i'd go for volkl's dnx series. they are very light and powerful.
    if you go on www.volkl.com you can have a look at dnx technology and
    the latest volkl gear.

well do you want power? accuracy? control? or a bit of all?

If you can get your hands on one, and are looking for a very smooth, old-school type feel, the Vantage racquets have [I believe] more layers of graphite to get the weight, rather than fillers, so have the type feel people talk about in the old Head and Prince Original Graphite [POG] racquets.

But, I think you have to follow the others' advise here to demo brands, types, setups to know if this feel would be good for your game.