» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 527

0 members and 527 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Thread: question

question

so, me and a friend of mine were walking home from playing a rough match (btw, i won 2-6, 6-3, 6-1) and a guy asked if we were tennis players. he told us he used to be a tennis teacher and used to give lessons to kids for free. he told us that there are 2 things someone has to learn to be good. he has to learn: the mechanics, and how to be a player. then, he gave us instructions on the basics of grip (continental and something else) and told us the continental is used for everything and there is no need to learn different grips. i agreed with most of what he said but one things kinda questioned me. he said the wrist is the most important factor in strokes. according to him, the wrist must be kept straight to execute a stroke efficentaly. the way i've learned is to use ur wrist to impart topspin on a forehand. which one is right, or mebbe a better way of phrasing is who is more right?

Hi, GiganteMax!

I think there are just different styles, and different strokes within those styles.
    It seems that he grew up like me, with the "old" grips. Nowadays people use the western grip. Sometimes, when you are going for a sharp, cross-court passing shot, you use the wrist to make the topspin more extreme and have it drop sharply.

I learned ping-pong before I learned tennis, so my style is highly influenced by that. I use the wrist to impart sideways spin, and so on. I hope other people who know more will post replies to your question. Good luck!

thats why i was kinda wondering about that because i don't keep my wrist straight and stiff at all. i keep it loose and use it to impart spin, whether that be topspin or sidespin.