» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 727

0 members and 727 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Talking

ok ok
    but whatever u say henin still rocks

rob1 Guest

Greatest tennis players

My opinion is that it is a very tough subject on who is the greatest tennis players as different players like different surfaces.

Look at Lendl who was No1 in the Ranking system for the majority of the 80s but never won Wimbledon.

So in my opinion for Wimbledon my greatest Players are

(Male)

1:Pete Sampras (Someone who won 7 Titles and had a multitude of injuries thrown in must surely be the best, I also liked the fact that he was an all round player like Federer is now)

2:Bjorn Borg

3:Boris Becker

4:John McEnroe

5:Roger Federer (I know he's only just come on the scene as a main contender in the last 4 years, but honestly what a talent and is an all round player like Sampras before him, this guy has the ultimate grass court game and should dominate mens tennis for many years to come.)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

(Female)

1:Steffi Graf (Wonderful player - considering many women players didn't have and still dont have a great grass court game Graf was the epitomy of this as she was a gifted tennis player who knew and pulled off all the shots, remarkable)

2:Martina Navratilova

3:Chris Evert

4:Martina Hingis (A very promising prospect and would have won a lot more had her temper and injury not got the better of her.)

5:Jana Novotna

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

N.B: This is my opinion of who I have seen often and my own opinion, I am only 19 and therefore the opinions of such players as Chris Evert, John McEnroe and Bjorn Borg come from recorded tapes or archive footage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rob1
    My opinion is that it is a very tough subject on who is the greatest tennis players as different players like different surfaces.

Look at Lendl who was No1 in the Ranking system for the majority of the 80s but never won Wimbledon.

(Male)

1:Pete Sampras (Someone who won 7 Titles and had a multitude of injuries thrown in must surely be the best, I also liked the fact that he was an all round player like Federer is now)

5:Roger Federer (I know he's only just come on the scene as a main contender in the last 4 years, but honestly what a talent and is an all round player like Sampras before him, this guy has the ultimate grass court game and should dominate mens tennis for many years to come.)

(Female)

1:Steffi Graf (Wonderful player - considering many women players didn't have and still dont have a great grass court game Graf was the epitomy of this as she was a gifted tennis player who knew and pulled off all the shots, remarkable)

4:Martina Hingis (A very promising prospect and would have won a lot more had her temper and injury not got the better of her.)

N.B: This is my opinion of who I have seen often and my own opinion, I am only 19 and therefore the opinions of such players as Chris Evert, John McEnroe and Bjorn Borg come from recorded tapes or archive footage
    dont u think u r forgetting henin
    i love her

ericenk Guest
    As far as I 'm concerned I think Federer is the the most completed player to ever exist in the world of tennis.even though I'm only 20 but I have seen them all,watched tapes and studied them all,federer is in a class of his own.Yet there are some shots he plays that should be declared illegal

Talking

i love henin

Raj Guest

my fave

Well, i think ,both federer and safin are here to rule to mens even for some time. Altho the likes of hewitt and roddick do challenge them sometimes, not nearly enoughi guess. Theya re just too good.

On the women's side, Can u really beat Henin when shes playing that good? HELL NO. sharapova is just Ok, and davenport aint the same. Methinks , the Williams should be sent to the mens event for a fair competition.

Coming back to who's the best of all times, I didnt see much of the likesof bjork or mcenroe, so will stick to the ones from my gen. I would say Sampras, altho agassi only improved of late. But I would say nothing ever gave me as much pleaseure as watching GORAN IVANISEVIC play! Oh man, I adore him and when he won that 2001 wimbledon, I wished i was in croatia celebrating with them guys.

On the chicks, its steffi no dobt abt that

FEDERER is the best right now, most refined player today...dam near flawless. 5/5 in grand slam finals-- two less than Agassi, and only 23. The best male player ever is a no brainer...Pete Sampras. For a Federer/Samprass analysis go to www.tennis28.com/studies/Federer_Sampras.html. For the females, it's a toss up between Steffi(22 grand slam titles, 4 in one calender year) or Martina(18 final titles.)

For those voting for Agassi, you kidding yourself. He is top ten though.

I'm sorry write again, but I just read the post who said the Williams should move over to the mens side, YOUR MISTAKEN. The mens ATP is not the PGA(Sorenstam.) The men's tour is much more competitve then the women's. Williams girls are great truly great FEMALE players, but they would last very long in a 5-set match with the 100th ranked male. Plus, I wouldn't want Federer or Safin to destroy them. Good thought though

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by fedroger
    I'm sorry write again, but I just read the post who said the Williams should move over to the mens side, YOUR MISTAKEN. The mens ATP is not the PGA(Sorenstam.) The men's tour is much more competitve then the women's. Williams girls are great truly great FEMALE players, but they would last very long in a 5-set match with the 100th ranked male. Plus, I wouldn't want Federer or Safin to destroy them. Good thought though
    Sorenstam is awesome
    but dont u think u r forgetting sexy henin

Guy in SF Guest

Greatest?

All Time:
    Men: Sampras, Laver and Lendl
    Women: Martina and Graf.
    I put Navratilova ahead of Graf because Graf lucked out big time with Monica Seles' stab injury. Graf would have ended up with maybe 15 grand slams at the most if Monica Seles didn't get stabbed. Martina probably faced more tough opponents in her career more than any other female players in history including Evert, Austin, Andrea jaeger, Mandlikova, Graf and some of Seles, but she still was able to dominate.

Best right now? Federer and henin all the way!

Talking

hey i think ure cool
    i love henin and i hope you too do

To guy in SF

Good point with Seles. She could of been the greatest, but SHE IS NOT! Graf is #1, then Martina. Graf won each slam 4 times:Australian(4):Wimbledon(7):French(6):US Open(6). To win 6 times on clay, give me a break! That is consistency. Even the great Sampras never won at the French. You have to remember she won half of her titles at Wimbledon(9).

Talking

maybe right now shes not the greatest
    but after she wins 17 more grand slams which she surely will do she will be the best

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rob1

(Male)

(Female)

henin is the best

Quote Originally Posted by fedroger
    FEDERER is the best right now, most refined player today...dam near flawless. 5/5 in grand slam finals-- two less than Agassi, and only 23. The best male player ever is a no brainer...Pete Sampras. For a Federer/Samprass analysis go to www.tennis28.com/studies/Federer_Sampras.html. For the females, it's a toss up between Steffi(22 grand slam titles, 4 in one calender year) or Martina(18 final titles.)

For those voting for Agassi, you kidding yourself. He is top ten though.
    hey man! I am kind of new here...I wrote something about the best ever in another tread, is "aggasi the greatest" or so...I compared them too, cuz I noticed too, that Sampras turned pro in 1988 and Federer 10 years later. Then I looked at the stats of the slams...but your stats are awesome...good work man!!!