» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 755

0 members and 755 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Federer and Nadal Make Men’s Tennis Enjoyable Again

Years ago before the rocket serves and short rallies there were great rivalries like Borg and McEnroe and marathon rallies as each tried to outsmart the other. Without this type of rivalry and all too often short rallies tennis lost it’s luster as a prime time sporting event…until yesterday.

Roger Federer faced the number 2 seed in the world and his only competition for the last 2 years, Rafael Nadal for the Wimbledon Grand Slam.

You would think it would be a little boring watching these two in the finals of every major tournament. Fortunately they are now entering tennis folk lore, up there with the Borg and McEnroe rivalry, after the most thrilling Grand Slam event in years.

Five sets of momentum swings for both players, both playing at the top of their games, brilliant rallies and a 5 set final, what more can you ask for?

The reserved Federer did deserve the win despite Nadal’s great play. He now enters a tie for 3rd place for most Grand Slam wins with 11, and was congratulated by one of those that shares third place, Bjorn Borg. At the age of 25 he can is certainly able to take over first place with most Grand Slams. Nadal could make things difficult with just a minor improvement to his game, which is most likely going to improve as he is only 21 years old, can’t wait for their next Grand Slam matchup.

Tennis needs a rivalry like this after so many years without the emotion conjured up by it. Thanks Roger and Rafael, for making men’s tennis enjoyable again.
    P.Fezziwig, administrator for Sport Search

It is a great rivalry. The match had all the dramatic twists and turns and surprises. I actually feel Nadal was the better player. He made less errors, and seemed to have more passion and desire. And he pulled out some unbelievable passes. I wonder how much his strain did affect him in the final set, as after he won the fourth he did not show the kind of reaction you'd expect from somebody who was mentally winning the match and had momentum. It was as though he knew he was not 100 per cent for the fifth.

Federer seemed twitchy and irritable at some points. I think it was his serve that was decisive in the tie breaks, but take that away and I think Nadal would be Wimbledon champion without a doubt in my mind.

Nothing compared to Sampras Agassi

Federerkid10 Guest

Wink

It is indeed a great rivalry. I think that even though borg is old. He's still really cool.