» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 526

0 members and 526 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Doubles Net Play Question

I have been mainly a singles player and recently joined a mixed doubles club, and found doubles fun and challenging. I have found having a partner on the same side is very distracting, and I do not play as well as in singles, but learning something new is part of the fun. One thing I have to get over is feeling so bad for my partner when I miss a shot.

The question I have is what I think is illegal net play. In a recent match, one of the opposing players stood bellied right up to the net and of course any ball he hits can be returned quite easily, even when he badly mis-hits and the ball just drops into the court. I think his racquet is even slightly over the net when he is waiting for a return. I later told my singles partner (who has played mostly doubles in the past) about it and he says it is not legal for your racket to go over the net, and that you should stand a stretched out arm and racquet length away from the net.

I am surprised the other two experianced doubles players did not say anything.

Fortunately, I have a pretty good lob, and a decent passing shot, so he was not too much of a problem for me (although, at first it was a quite unnerving to have him standing right up to the net when I was receiving serve, as it seemed he was right on top of me!).

Thank You

You cannot cross the plane of the net on almost every occasion. The only time it is okay is if your opponent's shot bounces on your side and starts to go over the net. Then you can reach over as long as you don't touch the net. The answer is yes he was doing something against the rules.

Ok, that sounds good. I don't plan on making a fuss over this, we are only playing for fun. I will just practice my lob and return to the other player as much as possible.

Thank You

But I think it's okay if your follow-through takes your racquet over the net. But the ball contact has to be on your side, and you can't touch the net.