» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 520

0 members and 520 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

I started playing 1 week. ago... some questions

Why is it important what raquet you use?
    When you forehand is topspin always neccesarry?
    How do you get topspin?
    Is it bad to angle your racquet?
    And most importantly, how come I can't hit the ball consitently in one spot?
    Korean Novice Playa

Re: I started playing 1 week. ago... some questions

Originally posted by NoviceKRNTennis
    Why is it important what raquet you use?
    When you forehand is topspin always neccesarry?
    How do you get topspin?
    Is it bad to angle your racquet?
    And most importantly, how come I can't hit the ball consitently in one spot?

1) It's important what racquet you use because every player has his own style of play, and there are certain racquets suited for certain styles. My guess is you would right now want an oversize racquet with more power because you really don't know how to generate your own and the oversive gives you a little bit less chance of wiffing the ball

2) Topspin is not always necesary for forehands. Often when you're on the defensive, as in running full out just to get to the ball, you're not gonna be able to put topspin on it very easily, so it's much wiser to hit a forehand slice (which means put backspin on it) deep to the other side to give u enough time to get back into ready position. Also you might want to hit a forehand dropshot which requires backspin.

3) How you get topspin... that's really a question you should ask a professional at ur nearest tennis club. The best answer i can give is that as you hit through the ball, you must also hit up on it, so that you're not swinging the racquet parallel to the ground but rather at a slight angle.

4) i don't really know what you mean by the question of whether it's bad to angle the racquet.

5) The answer to this question is easy. You've only been playing a week, don't expect to be able to hit the ball like a pro instantly, it takes a lot of practice, but trust me, it's extremely satisfying when you get to the point when you can really frustrate an opponent by hitting consistently and moving him/her side to side on the court.