» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 727

0 members and 727 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
    Jim S Guest

Big Hands, What Racquet?

I have recently started playing tennis (again) and am in the market for a new racquet. I use to play in high school, am now in my early forties and have been playing for the last couple months. I have big hands and my grip size is 4 3/4. I also have problems with tennis elbow (also did when I was playing in high school). I want a heavier racquet and was looking at the Wilson Hyper Pro Staff 6.1. Does anyone have any sugeestion of other racquets I should look at before buying? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

i know i play with a head titanium classic midplus, it's actually quite heavy as racquets go, at least i think so. but if you're just starting over again i don't think such a small head size would be a very good idea. i don't think it matters what racquet you get as long as the handle is big enough, they actually had to build up the size of the handle of my racquet because it was too small.

Racquet Research

If you have elbow problems (as I do) you should check out http://www.racquetresearch.com. Unfortunately their rankings are a little out of date. My personal experience is this: when my elbow starting hurting I was playing with a Dunlop Revolution XL (since discontinued). I tried the ProKennex Kinetic Pro 5G, at that time the top recommendation of the racquetresearch site. Problems went away and never re-appeared. Then I started looking for more velocity on my serve. I tried first the ProKennex 15G PSE which has a bigger head and more weight. That was OK, but my arm and shoulder started to feel sore. After going back to racquet research I saw that the Prince Original Classic was now the #1 ranked stick. Instead of that one I tried the NXG Tour Oversize, which looks similar but has some of newer Prince technologies. I got the pop I was looking for on my serve, but also a very sore elbow. I am about to go back to the 5G.

As far as I know you will need to build up a 4 5/8 grip to 4 3/4. The easy approach would be to use a thick overgrip wrap, but I believe lots of places can double-wrap the handle for you.

string tension

is it correct to say that a racquet strung at 50 pounds tension is better than one strung at 70 pounds if the player is very consistent and accurate but lacks power? i heard that the more taught the strings, the more contrl you have but less power as well.

you are correct

tighter strings give more control, and transmit more of the shock of impact to the frame (and then the frame transmits it to your elbow)
    looser strings give more power and also absorb more of the hit.
    At the club/park level, most overhits are caused by hitting too flat, if hitting from around the baseline, or taking too big a swing if htting a short ball. Tighter strings will help somewhat but then your serve tends to become a puffball. The better solution is to learn how to hit with topspin and also when to shorten the swing.

i have been playing for 20 years --i believe it is too late to hit with topspin. what pound level should i get my racquet strung at if i am consistent but lack power. i do have a forehand slice and i serve with a lot of side spin.

or can you recommend a raquet for my game which is to basically return almost all shots within reason.

What racquet are you using now?

If you want more power you can loosen your strings or switch to a racquet with
    a) a larger head. Michael Chang, the quintessential retriever, used a Prince Graphite Classic with a 107 square inch head.
    b) a more open string pattern. Jennifer Capriati's new racquet, the Prince Tour Diablo, has a 18 mains and 16 crosses. By contrast, the Dunlop 200G (and some others) have 20 mains and 18 crosses.
    c) a heavier frame. Pete Sampras' Wilson ProStaff was weighted with lead tape at 6 and 9 o'clock so that it weighed about 14 ounces.
    d) more weight in the head, but be careful -- according to racquetresearch.com (and my experience), head-heavy racquets put a big strain on your elbow, wrist and shoulder.

Scott Guest

I want your rackets how many do you have

I love your racket I just bought 4 new wilson ncode 6's, but I played with by buddies dunlop revolution xl. I need this racket how many do you have and how much do you want for them?

tsomers Guest

Mr

Newbie question:

Is there a way to loosen your strings rather than having your racquet re-strung with new string? Maybe some home remedy?!

Thanks