» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 627

0 members and 627 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
    acjjp Guest

Comming back to tennis after 12 years

I stopped playing tennis 12 years ago after high school. I was first seed at my school the whole time I played. Practiced everyday from the time I was 11 till I quit after school. I always had scouts watching and got a few offers to some o.k. schools. Then I got hired right out of school at an automobile factory. Made everyone mad. Money was good and married my high school girlfriend. I guess I forgot about tennis. Well my question is which rackets should I try now. I used Donnay rackets back then the orange ones Andre used. I still have 2. I went and played the other night for the first time in 12 years. I could actully still hit the ball. I was shocked. Any suggestions would be great. I'm a photographer now so I have a lot more time to start playing something I loved again.

I played tennis for almost 10 years back in the '70's and layed off until last year. I played with a wood Jack Kramer. When I started playing again, I picked up an early 80's ProKennex Gold Dominator. Last month, I decided to get a new racquet and after a lot of research, bought a ProKennex Kinetic Pro 7G and have been very happy with it. It is 9 pts head light and weighs close to 12oz and is a "tweener" 100 sq.in. head. I had it strung to 62lbs. and may go to a higher tension.

Best thing to do is go to www.tenniswarehouse.com and demo (rent) some racquets. They are quite reasonable and have all sorts of pro and am reviews to really get you confused. You will find any racquet reviewed to have both supporters and detractors. They all have players that either hate them or love them.

Also, go to www.racquetresearch.com for more valuable info.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Chips2000; 08-22-2007 at 12:59 AM.

Yeah, thats the best thing to do is get into a demo program so that you can try different racquets. I tried alot of racquets during the demo program and they all felt different in head speed to weight of racquet. When I played in college, I used a wilson prostaff 90. It seems to me that I still like the feel of the wilson racquets and recently picked up a [K] six one 95 racquet. Goodluck and I hope you find something that suits your style of play.