» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 521

0 members and 521 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Open 2007

US Open 2007

Now that the US Open is underway, what do you think about the outcomes so far?

What are your predictions?

Discuss the 2007 US Open here.
    TennisW.com Network Administrator
    www.TennisW.com

Didn't you love Roddick asking his coach if he should challenge and getting the green light he did challenge WAY TOO LATE?

These kinds of little cheats put the integrity of whole US Open in question!

No Nadal means no fun

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post

Actually the women's draw seems more exciting because of a potential Serena/Henin match up in the quaters. Why you ask? Because at the past 3 grand slams I beleive it was Henin who stopped Serena and now Serena has something to prove.

My prediction is who ever wins that Women's quarter will win the US Open. I am routing for Serena but damnnn that Henin's back hand is monsterous. Go Serena GO!!!!

As for the Men's draw, if Nadal is not at even 90% health then it will look like Federer will win hands down especially if Nadal falters and if that Jancovic upstart gets to the final. Roger will want to clobber him for beating him at the Montreal Masters Series (Rogers Cup). Roger is too healthy and won't let anyone stop him from gaining on Sampras's record.

Their are only 2 people who can stop Roger and that's a healthy Nadal and this new Jancovic upstart. Forget that Andy Roddick punk - He's all serve and no stroke. At least he gives a great interview...that is if you like ego maniacs.

Peace!

Smile

I am loving the tournament so far. I love that we've got some new blood on the scene in the likes of Asha Rolle, Donald Young and John Isner.
    Last edited by gliterati; 08-30-2007 at 09:17 PM.

The following comment was submitted via email by TW member Ricardo_Bahamas:

I think that firstly for the woman's side of the draw I think that Venus Williams is clearly going to win the US Open. I ALSO THINK THE Serena IS GOING TO LOSE IN THE NEXT FEW ROUND. I also think that a few of the new up and coming player are going to do fairly well, and I think that there will be a new face in the Woman's finals.
    As for the men I know that Roger Federer is going to win but I think that Nadal is not going to be in the finals because of his knees. I think that Donald Young should be given a lot of credit because he is doing very well. And that is all I have to say about the Open.

Regards,
    Ricardo

Ricardo's comment is the section above in dark green.
    TennisW.com Network Administrator
    www.TennisW.com

Federer will win - again

Nadal wont go past the qauters

I find the match commentary less and less informative or insightful over the years... it seems those in the broadcast booth are talking more about what they think about a topic or what comes to mind rather than what we are seeing as viewers... as well, the overuse (abuse) of adjectives and lack of strategic or tactical analysis causes a great deal of distraction for me. All too often they come across as woefully amateurish...

The broadcast producers are starstruck it seems... we have to watch the top seeds sit and drink water between games rather than catch some action on the 'outside' courts where other players are working just a hard to compete in this challenging sport. We are missing some good tennis - actually we are trapped and held hostage in a particular match at the whim of a certain television channel. They exercise extremely poor judgment in this regard.

Johnny Mac

John Mac is okay is small doses. But honest to goodness sometimes I am shouting at the television: shut up already! Too much uninformative drivel, and occasionally obnoxious. Compare that to Navratilova's intelligent commentary tennis fans recently were lucky to hear. Martina is much more interesting than John.
    Plucky
    Hawaii

Arrow

So far we've seen upsets(Maria Sharapove). I don't like the draw...the women's draw, anyway. All the top players are on one side, and the bottom half is virtually free of tough competitors. I expect Justine Henin or Serena Williams to win the women's draw. Roger will likely play Rafa in the final...again, and he will win. I would like to see Andy win. I think he needs it the most.

Justine/ Jelena/Venus

Justine really outplayed Serena last evening, plain and simple. Serena looked tired from the onset, and justine came out firing. I do not think jelena can beat Henin at this point.The former is 3-3 against Venus, who is 7-1 against Henin. I cannot remember when last these two played each other.However ,its just two games from the final,so everyone has to bring her 'A' game. And the best will prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by wiseup35 View Post
    Justine really outplayed Serena last evening, plain and simple. Serena looked tired from the onset, and justine came out firing. I do not think jelena can beat Henin at this point.The former is 3-3 against Venus, who is 7-1 against Henin. I cannot remember when last these two played each other.However ,its just two games from the final,so everyone has to bring her 'A' game. And the best will prevail.
    How 'bout those ridiculous comments Serena said in the post-match interview?

"She played better. I just think she made a lot of lucky shots and I made a lot of errors," Williams lamented, maintaining she was still the premier player in women's tennis when at her best.
    Look, stop being crybaby and come to the tournament prepared. I watched every point of this match and it was clearly Serena that made a few "lucky" shots to even stay in the match as long as she did! Henin absolutely dominated. Her groundstrokes had Serena off balance all night-- and don't even compare the two at the net. Justine was fearless at the net and rarely made errors, while Serena looked like a club player. I felt a little sorry for Serena last night after the match, but after reading those remarks she is dead to me. So far Venus has shown a little more class, so I'm still rooting for her.

Serena did not show much class last night.

However, I think she had a B-reduction recently...

Hey, Black Sampras, what are you smoking, man?

"Upstart Jancovic" you say? You are confusing men with women and misspelling their names.

Get back to watching football.

Red face Darth Federer to face Novak in the Final!

Oh wow Jiriz,

Football! Man, you are creative with the insults.

Obviously, you knew that I was referring to Novak, but I guess you would rather be an ass! I hope that your tennis game is allot sharper than your witty rebuttals.

Going back to a simple conversation about the US OPEN. Serena at her best can beat Henin but last night Serena was not at her best physically. Kudos to Henin! She is definitely the tennis standard for women's tennis and deserved to win and also deserves to be number one. Now it's time for Venus to step to the plate! I do not know who will win that match.

For the men, I predict Federrer vs. Novak. Federrer will be seeking revenge and will redeem his recent loss to Novak to become 2007 US Open Champion.
    Last edited by Black Sampras; 09-07-2007 at 08:58 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Two great matches under the lights. Venus did not have her "A" game, but still came through, although she better figure out what is wrong with her serve and forehand if she expects to get past Henin.

Roddick played two nearly flawless sets last night and had nothing but a 2-set hole to show for it. I think he was a little discouraged by the third, which I can't blame him for. Rog looks unbeatable. In fact, I still can't believe that Djokovic beat him a couple of weeks ago.

On a side note, I was pleasantly surprised at Agassi's insights in the booth last night.