» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 526

0 members and 526 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Please suggest racquets for tennis elbow - its stopping me from enjoying

Hi,

I have been playing tennis for a couple of months and get pain from tennis elbow when ever I play. I had a 5 year old racquet - Prince "Synergy Series" comp titanium with a head size of 110 which I got for about $60 but it is not good for the elbow.
    I then took part in a demo program and first got a nCode sixty two (which had a head size of 113) but is not much better for tennis elbow.
    Next I tried nCode sixty one which has a head size of 95 and weight of 11.7 ounces. This was a huge improvement for my elbow. Based on above experiments, plus advice from a coach and reading on websites which seem to indicate that heavier racquets with smaller heads are better, I have now exchanged it with a nCode sixty one Tour with a head size of 90 and weight of 12 ounces and will try out for next couple of weeks.
    While of course all this is related to technique, I would like to get the gear that helps out the most. Could someone please recommend a good racquet for tennis elbow? I have found the 3 below which might be really good - any suggestions on them? The 3 racquets are:
    1. Wilson nSix-One Tour 90
    (Headsize: 90, Weight: 12.4, Stiffness: 66, Balance: 9pts head Light)
    2. Head Prestige Classic Midsize
    (Headsize: 93, Weight: 12.3, Stiffness: 60, Balance: 7pts Head light)
    3. Wilson Prostaff 6.0 Original 85
    (Headsize: 85, Weight 12.6, Stiffness: 66, Balance 8pts Head light)

I am reasonably atheletic, strong and am not so concerned about lack of power or higher weight.

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    GM

Strings are very important so try natural gut if you can afford it or a high grade synthetic 16 or 17 gauge and strung on the looser side. Talk to your stringer and see what he recommends. It could complicate matters if you are hard on strings.

ManuelD

good motion...headweight and string tension

I had many people around me with tennis elbow. I corrected their backhand motion and they fully recovered after 2 months (yep, they didn't wanna rest :-/ )
    It could only be treated on the long term with a better motion (it's mostly a backhand issue).
    First, you should play your backhand with the motion coming from the shoulder not the wrist (think of locking it). Sometimes double handed backhand is the way out of tennis elbow, but still without turning a wrist.
    Secundly, use lower tension of strings (and forget strings sold for durability !).
    Then, if you can afford to change the frame again, look for a light racket with light head balance.
    Assume if you don't change your motion it'll hurt anyway... Weither with a heavy head racket because you'll miss power to control the uncorrect motion or with the light head racket because you'll pull more on your muscles to counter the ball path and give power.
    Tricks around the racket are just to help to the time you find the correct motion...