» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 511

0 members and 511 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Thread: string question

string question

i use forten's kevlar 16g... strung to 65 on a Triad 6.0...

i normally use this string for both the mains and crosses... absolutely love it...but now want to use nylon for the crosses just for durability/longevity purposes.

i've heard 2 sides -- one being you should string the mains heavier than the crosses, but i also heard that when using the kevlar strings, you should string the crosses heavier. but wouldn't that warp the frame?

sean
    4.5-5.0 serve/volley

My stringer always strings the mains heavier than the crosses.

Quote Originally Posted by seanarmenta
    i use forten's kevlar 16g... strung to 65 on a Triad 6.0...

i normally use this string for both the mains and crosses... absolutely love it...but now want to use nylon for the crosses just for durability/longevity purposes.

i've heard 2 sides -- one being you should string the mains heavier than the crosses, but i also heard that when using the kevlar strings, you should string the crosses heavier. but wouldn't that warp the frame?

sean
    4.5-5.0 serve/volley
    If you're stringing @ 65lbs and want to string heavier...You should have tremendous feel and close to no power at that stringing. I recommend stringing no higher than 62lbs on any racquet. I string at 57-59 on my babolat pure drive team plus and the feel is still tremendous and the power is excellent. But if you must, why not just go down a pound or 2 on the crosses and leave the mains at 65?
    4.5-5.0
    Babolat Pure Drive Team Plus

both?

Kevlar is great for durability, but it goes dead extremely quickly. If you're using it on both mains and crosses, you must be restringing every week or so. If that's the case, why not use strings that give you feel and control?

My players who have a lot of topspin use kevlar on the mains, and I get a couple more weeks out of the strings before the kevlar goes deader than the proverbial doornail, maybe a month at best. I can't imagine using it on both.

Red face

Sean, your a serious club player at a 4.5-5.0. I am a former ATP player and Teaching pro of 27 years and a big serve and volleyer. Have you tried some of the new Polly-Mono strings. Many ATP pros have gone this route. I have switched myself and love it. You can get great playability with durability. I have some other helpful hints regarding tension for the high level player you may be interested in. Not your basic high tension (controll) low tension (power) stuff. I'm talking about stuff that only the Pros are going to know. How the ball reacts with certain string at certain tensions hit at a high level. good luck! tprocurt@tampabay.rr.com

Unregistered Guest
    My local teaching pro recently recommended to put kevlar in the cross strings for durability and 17 or 18 g string in the mains for feel. I've bought my string thru Tennis Savvy, Inc. and have had great success and I'm happy with them. Check out the variety of strings available on this web site.

http://www.tennissavvy.com

Hello my friend.

Kevlar strings are very stiff and rigid. The tension on these needs to be dropped 10 - 15%. Most string them in the mains for added durability and use a synthetic gut cross to help soften the string bed. As long as you are stringing the mains and crosses in the manufacturers range, you will be fine. No worry about damaging the frame. If you have any further questions I am happy to help you out or go into greater detail.

Kevlar stings feel dead(from the first hit till you hate em' so much you just cut em' off). Great durability but it gets a longtime to get used to.

Natural gut is best.

top pros

Most of top pros mainly use polyester strings now.
    70% Luxilon BigBanger Alu power ("rough" version for topspinners), 20% Babolat (VS team, Pro hurricane...). Mostly in 16-17.
    In France we can hardly find "Luxilon" so I use myself Babolat Pro hurricane. The 2 first hours feel always a bit stiff and then it's great.
    Consider stringing a bit less than former normal strings.
    Putting a slightly heavier tension on main helps to prevent strings to move too much after heavy powerful spinning stroke at lower tension and therefore keeps more grip when playing. Never tried the difference with tension over 27 kg (already using a stiff frame).