» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 682

0 members and 682 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Organizing social doubles

Looking for suggestions on what might have worked for others. We'd like to get a group of husbands/wives together to play on weekends; I've done this in the past where you play WITH your spouse/partner for the first set but split for the second set (i.e. they'd be your opponent) and then play on totally different courts for the third. Another option would be to stay with your partner throughout the afternoon and play against other couples in an informal pseudo-tournament.

Most of the people who would be involved play in a round robin where we're mixed and matched by the tennis pro. We'd pick and choose the couples who are fun to play against and exclude those who don't play well together. I've always heard that married couples shouldn't play with one another since they get on one another's nerves, so I'm not sure if staying together all afternoon would work week after week????

Thanks for any input

Unregistered Guest
    We ended up going with the first format (generally) where husband/wife play together for the first set, split for second and play with someone totally different for the third. We play where the losing couple moves down a court while the winners move up a court, mixing things up accepably well and helping to seperate weak players from the stronger.