» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 738

0 members and 738 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

new member - questions on racquets

Hi all, new memnber here. I am a 3.0-3.5 all court player with a medium swing. I'm looking at a couple of racquets to buy and wondered if anyone has played them before. The racquets I am thinking about are the Dunlop Quadro mid plus and the Yonex Ultimum RQ Ti-210. I have been suffering with a players racquet that is too heavy, too low powered and too small of a sweet spot for my intermediate level game. The racquets listed above are both 102 sq. in. and standard 27" length, and not too head heavy. I'd like to hear some feedback if anyone has used one of these. Thanks !!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J
    Hi all, new memnber here. I am a 3.0-3.5 all court player with a medium swing. I'm looking at a couple of racquets to buy and wondered if anyone has played them before. The racquets I am thinking about are the Dunlop Quadro mid plus and the Yonex Ultimum RQ Ti-210. I have been suffering with a players racquet that is too heavy, too low powered and too small of a sweet spot for my intermediate level game. The racquets listed above are both 102 sq. in. and standard 27" length, and not too head heavy. I'd like to hear some feedback if anyone has used one of these. Thanks !!
    Well, I don't know too much about those racquets, but I use the Babolat Pure Drive Team Plus and it is a magnificant racquet with a very large sweet spot. The racquet is head-light, so your swing needs to be relatively fast. My swing used to be medium but i adjusted it to be faster and now, because of this racquet, my game as improved from 3.5 to 4.5. It's an amazing racquet.
    4.5-5.0
    Babolat Pure Drive Team Plus

disagree on the pure drive

I think it depends on how often, and how intensely you play. This year, two college players I coach injured their wrists -- in both cases, we determined it was due to their Babolat pure drive racquets. I suppose it's a good racquet for a player with a lot of arm and wrist strength, but not appropriate for most players. Too stiff, especially for slender girls, which these players are.

The players I worked with wanted the racquet because Roddick uses it. They failed to recognize three facts: 1) his racquet is customized, head heavy; 2) his serve power comes from his legs, not his racquet; 3) his transitional game ain't that great.

Quote Originally Posted by tenista
    I think it depends on how often, and how intensely you play. This year, two college players I coach injured their wrists -- in both cases, we determined it was due to their Babolat pure drive racquets. I suppose it's a good racquet for a player with a lot of arm and wrist strength, but not appropriate for most players. Too stiff, especially for slender girls, which these players are.

The players I worked with wanted the racquet because Roddick uses it. They failed to recognize three facts: 1) his racquet is customized, head heavy; 2) his serve power comes from his legs, not his racquet; 3) his transitional game ain't that great.
    Well, Babolat's Woofer System implemented in all their newer racquets was designed specifically for the purpose of reducing wrist and elbow pain as well as adding power in a trampoline type effect. This racquet has the least recoil of any racquet I've ever used. Perhaps their string tension was too high? The woofer system is designed to have the most beneficial effects with strings strung at ~56-57lbs. Also, a rubber band helps a lot for vibration dampening.
    4.5-5.0
    Babolat Pure Drive Team Plus

Unregistered Guest

Tenista

A. true about the customize racket
    B. the racket cannot cause the injury in the wrist, unless it is to heavy, and the babolat is a light swinging racket.
    C. The players need to adjust their swing to the racket, it is like no other.
    D. Roddicks power does come from his legs, however, you think he can serve 150 with a wilson ncode six one 90?
    E. ROddicks spin does come from the babolat
    F. id like to see you hit with roddick..
    G> if you dont know what your talking about dont post anything

calm yourself, i agree with tenista. i think it's quite possible that a stiff racquet can cause injury to the wrist, though i've never even played with a babolat myself. i think you are absolutely wrong when you say that players need to adjust their swings to the racquet. the racquet is made for the person, not the other way around, one should find a racquet that works well for his swing, not a swing that works well with his racquet. roddick's spin doesn't come from the racquet, honestly, his spin comes from his western forehand grip and the way he serves. i imagine roddick could come darn near close to 150 mph serves with any racquet he used, he just prefers the babolat, and besides, the babolat he uses is customized and probably nothing like the babolat sold in public. for all we know, the racquet he uses could be customized to be more similar to the ncode six one 90 than the one sold in public. myself, i'm a prince person at heart with my more precision. and obviously, tenista here knows what she/he's talking about considering she/he coaches college tennis.

babolat

Glad to hear about the Woofer system. I think Babolat recognized the problem and fixed it. And thanks, Lively, for the spirited defense! I think Roddick could hit 160mph and up with a head-heavy racquet, but he'd lose the rest of his game, which is already shaky enough. I hope he learns to get the same power on his groundstrokes. As you said, spin has nothing to do with the racquet.

Incidentally, I just finished coaching at a couple junior tournaments over the holidays and saw at least a half-dozen girls using the Babolat Pure Drive who had their wrists taped.

BaSeLiNeR Guest

tenista go go ^_^

I personally use a babolat pure drive plus, but i do agree greatly that a raqcuet should always be made to fit the person and his/her swing, not the other way around. As for Roddick's serve and topsin, you can't really argue anything when it comes to his babolat...because i guarantee you that his babolat is nothing like yours or mine ^_^. His serve power comes from his leg, service style, the short er toss and motion, and his height allows him to use that shorter quicker motion. As for his topsin, i think his grip and his hips have alot more to do with it than his racquet does.

true about the customize racket
    B. the racket cannot cause the injury in the wrist, unless it is to heavy, and the babolat is a light swinging racket.
    D. Roddicks power does come from his legs, however, you think he can serve 150 with a wilson ncode six one 90?

Tenista you seem to be quite the genius here. But, I will have to disagree with some of your comments...

"the racket cannot cause the injury in the wrist, unless it is to heavy, and the babolat is a light swinging racket"...a light racquet will cause you to feel everything upon contact....why do you think all good players have heavy racquets? I don't see to many wrist problems out there compared to your local club. Think of this way, if you are driving a VW bug and hit something at 55 mph, you are gonna feel it. If you hit the same thing driving a Semi-truck, you are not going to feel anything and you will have a lot more power behind you too.

A racquet can surely cause wrist problems. I know if I switched to something light and and soft my wrist would be done in a couple days. It is not the only contributing factor that can cause harm, but it is definitley one of them.

I am pretty sure Roddick can hit his serve as hard with any frame. He may have to balance it a bit, but even without it, he will be darn close. Did you not see the test they did with Phillopousis a while back,,he hit the same speeds with a wood racquet....as long as you hit the sweet spot, anything is going to make that ball get up and go.

"ROddicks spin does come from the babolat" This has to be one of the most uneducated statements I have ever heard. His wallet gets fiiled up by Babolat, thats about it. He could play with a lot of of other frames with the same result. The racquet has no absolutely no effect on the spin. A thinner gauge string may help with spin, but to say he gets it from the raquet is kind of silly.

id like to see you hit with roddick.." What is it you would like to see?

"if you dont know what your talking about dont post anything" Thats a good point, be careful about the things you say though.

I didn't do it -- honest!

Quote Originally Posted by browndogwilson
    true about the customize racket

Tenista you seem to be quite the genius here. But, I will have to disagree with some of your comments...

"the racket cannot cause the injury in the wrist, unless it is to heavy, and the babolat is a light swinging racket"...a light racquet will cause you to feel everything upon contact....why do you think all good players have heavy racquets? I don't see to many wrist problems out there compared to your local club. Think of this way, if you are driving a VW bug and hit something at 55 mph, you are gonna feel it. If you hit the same thing driving a Semi-truck, you are not going to feel anything and you will have a lot more power behind you too.

A racquet can surely cause wrist problems. I know if I switched to something light and and soft my wrist would be done in a couple days. It is not the only contributing factor that can cause harm, but it is definitley one of them.

I am pretty sure Roddick can hit his serve as hard with any frame. He may have to balance it a bit, but even without it, he will be darn close. Did you not see the test they did with Phillopousis a while back,,he hit the same speeds with a wood racquet....as long as you hit the sweet spot, anything is going to make that ball get up and go.

"ROddicks spin does come from the babolat" This has to be one of the most uneducated statements I have ever heard. His wallet gets fiiled up by Babolat, thats about it. He could play with a lot of of other frames with the same result. The racquet has no absolutely no effect on the spin. A thinner gauge string may help with spin, but to say he gets it from the raquet is kind of silly.

id like to see you hit with roddick.." What is it you would like to see?

"if you dont know what your talking about dont post anything" Thats a good point, be careful about the things you say though.
    Browndog --

It wasn't me who wrote those intemperate remarks. That was a guest responding to my comments.

Sorry, my bad.