» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 457

0 members and 457 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Problem with Topspin...

I have a bit of a problem with keeping the ball low. I don't think I hit it with enough slice, but today I noticed something. I noticed that when some one hits the ball with topspin it's harder for me to return it. I've noticed that slice is really no problem for me, because when the ball comes at me I don't really have to think too much about it. I just take it out the air. But with topspin it leaves the ball in the air and I can see it getting ready to drop. So my problem is, I have to think, O.K were is this ball going to fall, should I take it out the air or let it drop first.Any suggestions would be taken as a gift...

well its simple really. if you take it out of the air just use a volley and push it back. Or you can let it drop and set up for a much harder hit.

yeah all u need to do is hit the ball as soon as it bounces otherwise it tends to go really high, and it turns away from you... so jus hit earlier... dont wait too long otherwise the ball starts to turn through the air

take it out of the air !!

how about hitting it right after it bounces? ....on the rise.

hmmm overthinking yes this is a thinking game but you seem to be too worried and thinking too much during points from what you've said.

check out oscar wegner's DVD. the lessons are pretty simple and oscar made the lessons look real easy and showing various ways to hit as well as explain the path of the ball as it hits the stringbed of the racket. it's really not rocket science.

hit it on the bounce....works well

I am not understanding

Are you refering to how to handle topspin/slice or if you should hit topspin/slice?

Hitting topspin gives you a couple of main advantages. It isn't as much about what happens to the ball when it bounces but how it travels through the air. A ball struck with topspin when traveling through the air will drop more quickly. Try tossing a beach ball to a friend. When you make the circumferance of the ball bigger the affect is more pronounced. When you toss the beach ball do it a couple of times with underspin (slice) and a couple of times with topspin. Notice how the ball takes a nose dive when you throw it with topspin. This gives us the advantage of when you hit it, you can hit it harder and with more height (Less chance of hitting it in the net and creating more depth) and have it still drop into the court. Slice is great for keeping the ball low when it bounces, but your clearence over the net has to be very little to get it to slide and your percentage of it going over drops when your target is so low.

Hope that helps or answers some of your question.

Mike Burge
    USPTA Master Professional
    www.dynamicdoubles.com

topspin

Yes you are right, topspin is much harder to deal with than any other shot. When John McEnroe recently practiced with Rafael Nadal, he said he had trouble dealing with all that spin! And he's a super pro!!! One thing to consider is to return the ball immediately after it bounces (on the rise but at ground level) but this takes exceptional timing! The other thing is to go deep and let the ball drop to you but this puts you deep in the court giving the other player time to rush the net and get the upper hand. On volleys against top spin you must mentally anticipate the amount of topspin and compensate for it on your volley because with topspin the ball will actuall bounce off your raqeut in an upwards direction (imagine the slow motion ball spinning in the air and you will see why, or hit topspin against a wall and notice how the ball jumps up after it hits the wall). So on the volley you will have to hit down more than you think you should otherwise your volley will sail long. Both slicing the ball and sending it back with topspin of your own will also offset the topspin your opponent has generated. When returning a topspin ball with a slice you must still remember that the topspin will tend to bounce the ball up off your raquet just as in the volley so some compensation will be needed. When returning a topspin ball with your own topspin it will basically negate the effect of the ball bouncing "up" off your raquet so I would recommend the topspin fighting topspin approach but you can't let the ball get above your shoulder, so take it early. I would recommend working with a coach and a heavy topspin hitter to figure out your best option though.
    One final thought is that if you can judge the amount of topspin by how fast the ball dives before it hits the ground and you can anticipate where the ball will be when it gets just above your waste, you can position yourself to be at that point, ready to jump to intercept the ball at your waist (rather than above your waist had you not jumped) and hit down on the ball (because you jumped you should be hitting the ball from above the net, hence a hard downward response would be appropriate). The pros do this a lot but it takes good timing and good anticipation.
    Hope this helps.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Doubles View Post
    Are you refering to how to handle topspin/slice or if you should hit topspin/slice?

Hitting topspin gives you a couple of main advantages. It isn't as much about what happens to the ball when it bounces but how it travels through the air. A ball struck with topspin when traveling through the air will drop more quickly. Try tossing a beach ball to a friend. When you make the circumferance of the ball bigger the affect is more pronounced. When you toss the beach ball do it a couple of times with underspin (slice) and a couple of times with topspin. Notice how the ball takes a nose dive when you throw it with topspin. This gives us the advantage of when you hit it, you can hit it harder and with more height (Less chance of hitting it in the net and creating more depth) and have it still drop into the court. Slice is great for keeping the ball low when it bounces, but your clearence over the net has to be very little to get it to slide and your percentage of it going over drops when your target is so low.

Hope that helps or answers some of your question.

Mike Burge
    USPTA Master Professional
    www.dynamicdoubles.com
    Excellent analogy DD ~

I don't believe our original Poster is still with us however the subsequent discussion is all that matters because someday He/She may decide to rejoin our Forum and see their question was given much consideration.

When TS became the strike of choice amongst Pro & Enthusiast Tennis Players, it changed the game as we knew it. Much of this had to do with the advent of a more powerful attack on the ball. Many of the older players hit with Continental and/or Eastern Grips (as you most likely know so well). These grips were unforgiving when trying to strike the ball at these increased accelerated speeds. There was no way you could have your Frame's face in an open position or vertical to your body position and control the ball.

Player's like Alberto Mancini, Tomas Muster & Jim Courier all liked to run around their forehand and hit tremendous cross-court forehand shots that depended heavily on the topspin (ts) they produced. However upon return of service, I like the old standard way of attack, which is stand in and take the ball on the rise (or for Novice) at its' Apex and the best grip for that tends to be the Eastern Grip which will allow you to flatten the ball out. This is also considered amongst many to be the grip best suited for dealing with low balls as the Poster was concerned about.
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Wait

On topspin shots waiting is key. Track the ball with your racquet out in front of you as long as possible, wait for the bounce THEN initiate your swing, lifting up on the shot as you make contact with the ball and pulling across for the finish. Waiting is actually the key in ALL shots.
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.