» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 513

0 members and 513 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Tennis Tutor battery access?

Just recently bought a Tennis Tutor model 3 off of eBay. Battery was pretty old and needs to be replaced. Does anyone know where I can find an online instruction manual or how to access the battery? Thanks
    Last edited by NightKidsGTR; 01-25-2005 at 01:05 AM.

Unregistered Guest

Tennis Tutor Battery

This is a very good question. I bought the older TENNIS TUTOR 2 model off ebay several years back. I never used it and assume that battery is probably no good either by now. So allow me to join your cause... ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW WHERE WE CAN GET TENNIS TUTOR REPLACEMENT BATTERY!!!!

I have the tennis desire all of a sudden.

James

Unregistered Guest
    You can order replacement batteries for your tennistutor at http://www.sportstutor.com/

Unregistered Guest

tprocurt

I have been using tutor machines for years and I can tell you that It is very common to have the old style chargers just not hold up. The newer style cahrgers allow you to keep it pluged into the maching all the time without burning it out. The old ones you could not. I even hooked up two bateries to a machine at one time when the old chargers were the only option.

You Can Do It

Four or five years ago, my wife bought a Tennis Tutor off eBay. The first couple of years, it let her hit balls till she’d had her fill. Last year it was down to 45 minutes or so, and this year it was less than 15 minutes. I tripped across this thread while looking for insight into how to replace the batteries. While I found no help anywhere, I did manage to figure it out. It was pretty simple. Here’s my story…

I laid the unit on its side in the normal operating position. It was clear that the hard plastic case had an upper and lower half. I removed six screws that were obviously holding the halves together. I also found an additional three screws along the sides of the top half of the machine that needed to come out. (These hold the case to an internal metal framework.) I removed the metal plate and spring from the ball feed wheel, and removed the wheel. Lastly, I removed the four screws from the switch plate. The top half of the case popped off with just a little bit of muscle.

Inside the machine I found a pair of batteries held in place with a metal strap. Three nuts held the strap in place. I found that I could not remove the batteries yet as there was a brace in the way. I only needed to remove the screws on one end of the brace, however, and I was then able to move the brace far enough out of the way to get the batteries out.

My unit shipped with a pair of EnerSys NPX-35 batteries. I shopped around on the Web and settled on a company called tnrbatteries.com after looking at prices and reading reviews. I ordered the batteries late in the evening. I received a call from them early the next morning telling me that they were out of stock, but that they had a pair of PowerSonic PSH1290 batteries that were the same size and had the same 12V, 9AH rating. This pair was also ten bucks cheaper. Shipping was free, and the batteries arrived three days later at a cost of $50.

The battery terminals had bigger spades than the originals, so I had to do some minor surgery to cut out the old spade clips and splice in four bigger ones. The unit was reassembled with little fanfare, and I charged it up overnight. Works like a new.

The bottom line is that this is something you CAN do yourself. Fifty bucks for essentially a new Tennis Tutor is a bargain. You can do it. Good luck!!

HD Battery?

Do you happen to know if that was an HD Battery or a standard battery. I have a old Tennis tutor model 2 that I bought new around 1992. It's been idle for about 6 yrs because of medical problems. I know I have a standard battery. I am looking to replace it with a HD battery but just do not want to pay the price that sports tutor is charging for along with the shipping charges. If anyone has the specs on the HD battery it would be appreciated. I just bought the fastcharger and that cost 90.00.
    Matt

Battery Talk

What my wife has is a Tennis Tutor Model 2. According to the Sports Tutor Web site, "Tennis Tutor comes standard with a built-in heavy duty rechargeable battery that can deliver up to six hours of playing time, so there's little need for extra batteries."

I'm an electrical engineer. The batteries I bought are both 9 Amp-Hour batteries. I only looked at the motors briefly when I had the unit apart, so I can't tell you how they are rated, but I'm pretty sure these batteries will drive these motors until you drop from exhaustion. They're heavy duty enough for the application in my book!

Tell me what battery is in your unit and I'll tell you if it has the same rating or if it's lighter duty.

Quote Originally Posted by TennisWidower View Post
    What my wife has is a Tennis Tutor Model 2. According to the Sports Tutor Web site, "Tennis Tutor comes standard with a built-in heavy duty rechargeable battery that can deliver up to six hours of playing time, so there's little need for extra batteries."

I'm an electrical engineer. The batteries I bought are both 9 Amp-Hour batteries. I only looked at the motors briefly when I had the unit apart, so I can't tell you how they are rated, but I'm pretty sure these batteries will drive these motors until you drop from exhaustion. They're heavy duty enough for the application in my book!

Tell me what battery is in your unit and I'll tell you if it has the same rating or if it's lighter duty.
    I just removed the battery and there are two strapped together and they are power sonic ps 1270. They are 12 volt 7amp/hr rated. I just bought a new super fast charger from sports tutor and they did not charge. I assume after 10 years they wouldn't. This is an old machine although it looks the same as the ones that are selling right now. It never lasted more then 1:30 to 2 hrs max. So I assume it's the standard battery. It is a tennis tutor model 2

I bought the machine new so they are the original batteries. I am not sure if the heavy duty battery was even available when I purchased this machine. It is at least ten years old maybe older. I was just looking to see if some one had heavy duty batteries and replaced them with ones that the sports tutor sells and if they new what the specs were on the batteries then I would search the internet for a replacement at a lower cost then 100.00 dollars sports tutor wants! Maybe you could explain to me what makes the battery heavy duty vs standard battery. Why does the HD battery last longer?
    Thanks for your time
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by TennisWidower View Post

http://www.sportstutor.com/tennis/tutor/

check the bottom of this page and look at the prices. You'll notice a price with a lite duty battery for 999.00. So it looks as though they still sell the standard/light duty battery model even today. I paid around $1,000.00 when I bought it at Sports Authority.

Heavier Duty

The batteries I bought were heavier duty than the ones you have (by 28%). Everything is relative, I suppose. You can find the technical specs for your battery here: http://www.powersonic.com/index.php?id=98. The PS line of batteries goes all the way up to 140 AH, but at what point does the marginal utility of an extra AH of power exceed the marginal cost? That's a personal choice.

The technical specs show that the charge characteristics are the same for your battery and mine. It's a fairly safe bet that our chargers use the "constant voltage" method described in the PS technical manual, and a fast charger most likely employs the "two-stop constant voltage" charging method. Call the battery store and ask what the difference is in the cost between a PS 1270, PS 1290, and PS 12140 (which would be twice the power of your original battery). Each battery is "heavier duty" than the one before it. From our experience, the 9 AH battery is plenty big enough for a Model 2.

Two Step

Make that "two-step," not "two-stop." My concern here was that the charge circuit on a unit that ships with a light-duty battery would not handle a heavier-duty battery. After looking it over, I don't think that's an issue.

I have about a 4 year old Tennis Tudor Model 3. It has 2 of the EnerSys NPX-35 batteries. Are the heavy duty batteries from Tennis Tudor the same physical size or can I only order the standard replacement batteries? It is probably not too difficult to order two batteries from someone else and rig them up, but I would rather not hassle with it.

Anyways when you do put the two halves back together, make sure the pole that goes to the ball feeder goes into the right spot. The first time I put it back together it wasn't, so the ball feeder did not spin.

Heavy Duty?

Did your Model 3 come with the "Standard Duty" battery? I'm dying to know what the rating is on the heavy duty battery vs a standard duty. The PS1290 is the same physical size as the NPX-35's. The spade connections are slightly different, but that's a simple wiring operation. Just make sure you use the same gauge wire (or heavier) if you splice in any wire of your own.

The form factor of the PS battery line appears to be the same no matter how big the rated capacity at least up to 14 Amp-Hour. (I didn't check it any further than that since I think you're starting to get into an insane amount of power for a home unit!)

The battery physical sizes can be found for the various models by clicking on the model numbers on the right at this page: http://www.powersonic.com/index.php?id=31&gr_id=40 -- And no, I don't work for PowerSonic or tnrbatteries.com. They just happened to have a battery that worked for me at a very reasonable price. They delivered what they said they would deliver in the time that they said it would take. It worked. It was cheap.

When I ordered, I do not even recall if they offered heavy duty vs. standard. Not sure what the NPX-35's are considered. It is possible they are in between what they now offer, perhaps the standard are cheaper 7AH while the heavy duty are 10AH. I might ask them if I order on Monday. The only upgrade I remember was getting the remote control, which seemed pricey for what it is, but well worth it.

They said the Tennis Tudor 3 requires the heavy duty battery. Did not find out what the standard battery was rated at.