» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 662

0 members and 662 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Thread: Tennis for kids

Tennis for kids

My son is 10 years old. Last year he discovered and interest in tennis and has been taking lessons for six months at one of the local court clubs. He loves the sport. So much, infact, he gave up two years of Karate to practice.

He's going to play in his first tournament this weekend, and I think I'm more nervous than he is. I'm not worried about the winning or losing, but I am worried about him getting discouraged. He's very confident (not concieted, just a bit unrealistic about his ablities...kids are like that at his age...ha ha). Then again, he's one of those people who doesn't let much get him down....

He'll be playing against other kids his age, but I'm wondering at what age do most people start playing this sport. We're not sure what to expect. Is it too soon for him play in tournaments? Or is it better to get experience right away? Does anyone have any suggestions for parents who have younger kids just starting out in this sport. Our city is small, there's not a lot of tennis fans around here other than the two local court clubs.

Thanks!

Geezer Guy Guest

no kidding

Hi zoso, Hope the tournament went well for your son - meaning, I hope he had fun. I don't have any kids, but I have seen a lot of kids at our club taking lessons. Some start much younger than 10, and are really quite good by the age of 10. However, that may not be the case in a smaller town. From what I've heard from others, the MOST IMPORTANT thing is to make sure your son HAS FUN playing tennis. Don't put pressure on him, and don't let him put pressure on himself. Tennis is a sport he can play for a lifetime, as long as he doesn't hate it by the time he's out of High School.

Hope this helps - good luck.

Hello Zoso,

I do agree with Geezer that you should not put pressure on your son, let him enjoy the game and learn the basics and especially his foot works, with time he will be ok. Again, playing tournament will give him the experience in competitions.

I wish him all the best in the game of Tennis.