» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 506

0 members and 506 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

How to find out the tension I want?

Lets say I am going to buy a new racket soon! How do I found out what tension is ideal for my swing? I don't want to guess a tension, purchase a $40 string. Found out it's not working, and go back to spend another $40 for another string 2 days later. (and probably repeat again)

Quote Originally Posted by andylo View Post
    Lets say I am going to buy a new racket soon! How do I found out what tension is ideal for my swing? I don't want to guess a tension, purchase a $40 string. Found out it's not working, and go back to spend another $40 for another string 2 days later. (and probably repeat again)
    there are some basic guidelines you can follow, but yeah, overall you'll have to try out different tensions.

I'm getting a new racket next week, and I need to know if I should go for higher string tension or lower string tension. Can someone tell me the difference it makes? I play with a Wilson K one, which is an extremely powerful racket, but the new racket I'm buying is a Babolat Pure Storm, which is like the complete opposite of the K one.

I'm only switching rackets because now I feel more comfortable with full, fast swings. It's like a step-up from beginner to intermediate. But with the amount of power the K one has, full swings always result in home runs, so I figured that if I wanted to keep getting better and moving forward, I should get a racket that has the right balance. But I just hope this won't be as bad as I think it's gonna be.

I don't have the most accurate swings, which means that the chances of me hitting the ball on the sweetspot is probably 10%, and that is a fact even though I'm using a racket with a 122 sq. inch headsize! The Pure Storm has a 98 sq. inch headsize, and thats 24 sq. inches smaller than the one I'm using!!! Sounds like I'm gonna be taking some empty swings out there, but I really hope not. At least I'll be able to bring out my faster swings and build more confidence when I play.

Every decent racket has a posted "recommended string tension" spanning at least 12 lbs. of differences.
    String at the higher end if you want control, swing fast, use spin, and are willing to put out energy each and every swing.
    String at the lower end if you want more power, swing slow, hit flatter, and need to save some energy each and every ball.
    Bigger rackets usually need more tension for control.
    Smaller rackets less tension to maintain power.
    What racket and your swing style would determine string tension, as well as string recommendations and # of strings.

Oh noes...I've had it all wrong this whole time, I thought less tension is less power and more tension is more power, but I'm glad that I have it right now. I had my K one strung at 55 lbs. which is lowest recommended tension, it had enormous power so I wanted less power and more control...humm no wonder that racket felt worse after restrung. I took my new pure storm to get it strung yesturday, and I wish I saw your post before I went, cause I've got it at 60 lbs. which I should've put 70, and the max recommended is 62 lbs. But I hope I'll be okay, I just can't wait to switch out of my EXTREMELY powerful K one and play with something I can actually swing with.

Quote Originally Posted by HK416 View Post
    Oh noes...I've had it all wrong this whole time, I thought less tension is less power and more tension is more power, but I'm glad that I have it right now. I had my K one strung at 55 lbs. which is lowest recommended tension, it had enormous power so I wanted less power and more control...humm no wonder that racket felt worse after restrung. I took my new pure storm to get it strung yesturday, and I wish I saw your post before I went, cause I've got it at 60 lbs. which I should've put 70, and the max recommended is 62 lbs. But I hope I'll be okay, I just can't wait to switch out of my EXTREMELY powerful K one and play with something I can actually swing with.
    i know the feeling. i had a racquet strung with low tension and polyester strings.. couldnt swing at the ball with any confidence. btw, 60 is very tight so you'll be fine.

Use the tension range on the racket as a guide. Usually, rackets are somewhere in the tension range of 55 to 65 pounds. If you don't know what you like, string the racket at the center of the range and go from there. If you generate your own power, string it a little tighter to provide more control. If you need additional power, string it a little lower.

Hi guys, after a brief hiatus, I'm back. The key to this is to know your string. Polyesters and kevlars are stiff and should be strung in the midrange of the racquet suggested tension. Softer strings should be strung toward the higher end of recommended as they lose tension fairly quickly after being strung. The only real way to find out what feels good to you is to experiment and that does cost some money. I will do a string guide to talk about some of these things, so give it a look.......

tennisking, so if I want Babolat Hurrican Pro 17 main and Wilson Sensation 17 cross, should I put them on the same tension of 55lbs? or they better to be different?

I would regards myself as advanced beginner who like to have more feel and softer impact.

(Using a K Six One 95)

tennisking, so if I want Babolat Hurrican Pro 17 main and Wilson Sensation 17 cross, should I put them on the same tension of 55lbs? or they better to be different?

I would regards myself as advanced beginner who like to have more feel and softer impact.

(Using a K Six One 95)
    Don't use the Pro Hurricane if you want feel. If you aren't a string breaker, try the Wilson NXT or the Gamma TNT. String the racquet a couple of pounds below the highest recommended string tension and it will loosen itself up just a bit anyway. Tons of feel and great playability. The reason your top players use the expensive gut strings and strings like the NXT and
    TNT is because the string has tons of feel and puts power back into the ball. Also, if you are two piece stringing, have your mains at 56 and your crosses at 58 on the Wilson if you are using the NXT or the TNT. Same with the Pro Hurricane and the Sensation. You can always put a towel over the strings and actually step on the strings to stretch them out a little if they are too tight, but if you string is too loose, it will feel like a trampoline and there is no way to tighten them up except to restring the racquet.

My game is based around heavy topspin groundies from behind the baseline. My forehand is almost identical to Nadal's and I want to be able to take an even bigger swing on each stroke while maintaining accuracy and control and keeping the ball in-bounds. My racket is the Wilson Kobra Tour. I would prefer something durable and strong. Can anyone recommend the best string pattern, tension and string model for my game?
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall."

"Whoever said, ‘It’s not whether you win or lose that counts,’ probably lost."

Seems to me, if you like to hit like Nadal, you should try 59lbs. and use some Luxilon BB or blend of in 16 gauge.
    You can't control pattern, it's your racket.
    Nadal uses around 55, so your 59 will drop to that in 3 hours of play.
    Fed is reputed to use just under 50. Both guys use only new strings. We don't, we use what we got till it breaks.