» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 506

0 members and 506 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Find me a racquet...........also....please.

Hello tennis fans.

I Have a Prince Triple threat Graphite Racquet with strings at 62lbs. It's a great stick with great power and spin potential. I am a fast server and a baseline player. My Prince is doing well but the sweetspot and overall frame is just too small. I keep mis-hitting the ball. I am suited to oversize racquets. So I have decided to purchase a new racquet but i am stumped on all the choices. I have been looking at the Wilson Ncode 5, the Babolat Aeropro Drive plus, Babolat VS NCT drive, the Head Flexpoint radical OS and the Prince O3. I have read all the reviews and cant make my mind up. If you guys have any good suggestions or other racquets please tell.

Thanks.
    Last edited by commandosolo; 04-07-2005 at 04:07 PM.
    SAFIN ALL THE WAY!!!

Unregistered Guest
    try the head liquidmetal instict. i use it and it has great maneouverability, flexibility, precision and power. recommend big banger strings for optimum performance. by the way. it does have a large sweetspot which should solve your problem.

Unregistered Guest

K freeze

hey
    i know you are looking for a bigger, OS head, but hear me out
    the nCode is a decent racket but definetly stay away from the liquidmetal line
    i give the highest recommendation to the Babolat pure drive for a base liner
    i just didnt get as solid of ground strokes with the AeroPro i demo'd
    the Pure drive\pure drive plus also gives you a big serve if you wanted to play a serve\volley (insert compliment to Jonny Mac) or it sounds like you are more of a serve and return player in which case, i would highly recommend looking into a pure drive. Atleast demo one and if it doesnt suit your style, you can find something different. this racket was definetly the farthest step forward ive ever taken in tennis. highly recommended.
    i hope my comments have been helpful.

Unregistered Guest

advise

pls help...
    i started play tennis 5 years ago, and can say i am improving fast. i started play my best tennis this spring when i bought head liquidmetal radical mid plus. few weeks ago i got the new edition flexpoint radical mid plus. did i make a mistake or not ???

Quote Originally Posted by commandosolo View Post
    Hello tennis fans.

I Have a Prince Triple threat Graphite Racquet with strings at 62lbs. It's a great stick with great power and spin potential. I am a fast server and a baseline player. My Prince is doing well but the sweetspot and overall frame is just too small. I keep mis-hitting the ball. I am suited to oversize racquets. So I have decided to purchase a new racquet but i am stumped on all the choices. I have been looking at the Wilson Ncode 5, the Babolat Aeropro Drive plus, Babolat VS NCT drive, the Head Flexpoint radical OS and the Prince O3. I have read all the reviews and cant make my mind up. If you guys have any good suggestions or other racquets please tell.

Thanks.
    You have a difficult task ahead of you. There are so many good rackets on the market that it is very hard to decide. From a personal standpoint, I never chase technology. In other words, why pay $200 for a 2009 racket when you can get virtually the same manufacturers racket that was made in 2007 or 2008 for half the price. Technology does not change that much from year to year. Only the advertising and the paint jobs change. Real technological change takes five years or more to make any measurable difference in the frame. One of the best rackets ever made is the Wilson 6.3 HyperHammer 110. That's a 10+ year old frame. (I believe both the Williams sister used this racket in the '99 US Open.) You can still find it on the market for less than $80. String it at 60 -62 lbs and the playability is amazing. Another great racket that is out of production is the Prince O3 Shark Hybrid in both the 100 and 110 size. I play the mid+ (100 sq. in.) strung at 60 lbs and it is an excellent all court racket. You can get them for less than $80. Anyway, the crux of the biscuit here is that you should also consider older or out of production frames that get good reviews and are readily available. Save some $$ and beat your buddies at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by desertgeezer View Post
    You have a difficult task ahead of you. There are so many good rackets on the market that it is very hard to decide. From a personal standpoint, I never chase technology. In other words, why pay $200 for a 2009 racket when you can get virtually the same manufacturers racket that was made in 2007 or 2008 for half the price. Technology does not change that much from year to year. Only the advertising and the paint jobs change. Real technological change takes five years or more to make any measurable difference in the frame. One of the best rackets ever made is the Wilson 6.3 HyperHammer 110. That's a 10+ year old frame. (I believe both the Williams sister used this racket in the '99 US Open.) You can still find it on the market for less than $80. String it at 60 -62 lbs and the playability is amazing. Another great racket that is out of production is the Prince O3 Shark Hybrid in both the 100 and 110 size. I play the mid+ (100 sq. in.) strung at 60 lbs and it is an excellent all court racket. You can get them for less than $80. Anyway, the crux of the biscuit here is that you should also consider older or out of production frames that get good reviews and are readily available. Save some $$ and beat your buddies at the same time.
    wow, you found some old posts, lol! I couldnt argree with you more. i've demo'd several newer model racquets, and there's nothing wrong with the older ones.

(Not So) Sweet Spot

I noticed a few comments about the sweet spot in selecting a racket. You may want to consider the following comment by Oscar Wegner:

"An example (of faulty technical teaching) is the idea that you have to hit the ball exactly on the center of the strings. Top pros tend to hit groundstrokes towards the bottom of the strings. This keeps the racquet closed naturally, allowing a looser grip.

Hitting below the sweet spot, or near the bottom strings, allows you to hold the racquet looser, relieving pressure from the arm."

BTW, the opposite applies to the slice. Experiment with this and you may discover quite a different "feel" for the rackets you demo.
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.

If you need a bigger racket, maybe best for you to look at the incoming ball once in a while.
    Bigger racket, bigger sweetspot, MORE TWIST and MORE SPRAYED balls, as the strings distort more on the off center hits.
    Of course, if you play at 3.5 levels, dat don't matter.