» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 519

0 members and 519 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Thread: winners

winners

I have trouble with hit winners that when I have a perfect setup. The ball bounces about a little less than shoulder height and my opponent is on the other side of the court. I have a perfect baseline shot but whenever I hit it, it seems that it always hits the top of my frame. Any suggestions? I know it must be hard to help me when you can't see my stroke but if you can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

well, it is rather difficult to help you without seeing your stroke. I sometimes miss easy winners, but just concentrate. If it's too high, you can back up or get it right off its bounce while it's still low. This sounds corny, but imagine you'll win a million dollars if you hit the winner correctly.

Maybe you need to step in and hit it earlier before it rises to hit the top of your frame. If the ball is coming slow with topspin, those are hard to hit if you wait till it bounces high. Catch it early and hit it flatter don't try to hit it as hard. Just direct it into the other side of the court to make your opponent run more.

hey

I had the same problem....i no it sucks
    my coach told me to hit the ball more in front of my body it worked for me
    but it mite not work for u ...but it mite

GaSgUeT

I have trouble with hit winners that when I have a perfect setup. The ball bounces about a little less than shoulder height and my opponent is on the other side of the court. I have a perfect baseline shot but whenever I hit it, it seems that it always hits the top of my frame. Any suggestions? I know it must be hard to help me when you can't see my stroke but if you can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
    High-bouncing shots aren't that easy to hit, especially on the backhand, especially with a one-handed backhanded.

Hitting a high-bouncing forehand, for example, actually takes a different stroke than hitting a waist-high or knee-high forehand. This is why most players have trouble with high-bouncing shots, whereas advanced players find them easy and love them because they can hit down on them aggressively. So, it's just a matter of practicing high-bouncing shots till you learn the special stroking motion needed.

I think Gasguet's tip is the most likely to work because it corrects the most common mistake. So I'd try that one first: try to contact the ball more out front. On forehands it might help to point at the approaching ball with your free arm.

Like others suggested, you can take the ball sooner (on the rise) or later (on the descent of the bounce). There are disadvantages to doing this, however. For one thing, taking the ball lower means you can't hit downward. Me? I'd take the ball lower rather than lose a match, but as a general solution to the problem, I'd look for something else.

If you are hitting the frame, you may be moving your head. Try to watch the ball better, so that you are still looking at the point of contact till AFTER you hit the ball. Doing that keeps your head still.

It sounds like you are hitting these shots from the baseline and expecting to hit winners. You can't hit winners from back that far, except on sharply angled shots that you hit from wide. In fact, you shouldn't be going for winners when you are more than about 14 feet from the net (less than 7 feet ahead of the service line). But if you're in the service line area, and you get a high-bouncing shot, you can hit down on it and follow your shot to the net.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kathyk
    High-bouncing shots aren't that easy to hit, especially on the backhand, especially with a one-handed backhanded.

Hitting a high-bouncing forehand, for example, actually takes a different stroke than hitting a waist-high or knee-high forehand. This is why most players have trouble with high-bouncing shots, whereas advanced players find them easy and love them because they can hit down on them aggressively. So, it's just a matter of practicing high-bouncing shots till you learn the special stroking motion needed.

I think Gasguet's tip is the most likely to work because it corrects the most common mistake. So I'd try that one first: try to contact the ball more out front. On forehands it might help to point at the approaching ball with your free arm.

Like others suggested, you can take the ball sooner (on the rise) or later (on the descent of the bounce). There are disadvantages to doing this, however. For one thing, taking the ball lower means you can't hit downward. Me? I'd take the ball lower rather than lose a match, but as a general solution to the problem, I'd look for something else.

If you are hitting the frame, you may be moving your head. Try to watch the ball better, so that you are still looking at the point of contact till AFTER you hit the ball. Doing that keeps your head still.

It sounds like you are hitting these shots from the baseline and expecting to hit winners. You can't hit winners from back that far, except on sharply angled shots that you hit from wide. In fact, you shouldn't be going for winners when you are more than about 14 feet from the net (less than 7 feet ahead of the service line). But if you're in the service line area, and you get a high-bouncing shot, you can hit down on it and follow your shot to the net.
    u r totally correct