» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 752

0 members and 752 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Thread: Help!

Unregistered Guest

Help!

I'm a junior in high school and I just joined the tennis team. I'm not much of a joiner so it took some courage to join. I took some tennis lessons when I was younger, so I thought I would be okay, but I guess I'm not. I was looking at some basic rules to refresh my memory and it's like another language! For example, with every serve is there a point awarded? And can you hit the ball into any part of your oponant's court? I was confused witht hat because the rules I was looking at said that even points are started at the deuce court and odds at the ad court. Could someone PLEASE help me? I need a simple overview of the rules so I don't look like a complete idiot!

confusion

well, I read your post once, I don't want to read it again, cuz you are probably very confused, but that's the forum for, to ask. So let me try to answer ur question. You start the game, the service game from the right court side. I don't use the expressinons duce court, or adv. court, cuz it confuses lot's of people. So, you start from the right hand side, when you serve, then you hit the serve in ur opponenets right court. When u are on the left hand side, same story. So you can't hit the serve just where you want. Every time you serve, sombody has to win a point. Either you, or ur opponent. If you miss the first serve, then u are allowed to hit a second one. It u don't miss, the game goes on. If you miss the second serve as well, the you lost the point, you go to the other side of the court, and carry on serving. First point won is 15, second 30, third 40 and if you win the next point, it's game. You have to win 6 games in a set to have won the set. There must be at least a gap of 2 games, when u reach your sixth game, only then are you the winner. So if you have won 6 games, your opponent must be at 4 of less. So 6-4. It it is 6 all, there is a tie break to decide the winner.

If something else is unclear, just write.

Unregistered Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibor
    well, I read your post once, I don't want to read it again, cuz you are probably very confused, but that's the forum for, to ask. So let me try to answer ur question. You start the game, the service game from the right court side. I don't use the expressinons duce court, or adv. court, cuz it confuses lot's of people. So, you start from the right hand side, when you serve, then you hit the serve in ur opponenets right court. When u are on the left hand side, same story. So you can't hit the serve just where you want. Every time you serve, sombody has to win a point. Either you, or ur opponent. If you miss the first serve, then u are allowed to hit a second one. It u don't miss, the game goes on. If you miss the second serve as well, the you lost the point, you go to the other side of the court, and carry on serving. First point won is 15, second 30, third 40 and if you win the next point, it's game. You have to win 6 games in a set to have won the set. There must be at least a gap of 2 games, when u reach your sixth game, only then are you the winner. So if you have won 6 games, your opponent must be at 4 of less. So 6-4. It it is 6 all, there is a tie break to decide the winner.

If something else is unclear, just write.
    Okay, I think I have it thenb, but I have one more question. Then that's it a promise! After you or your opponent successfully serves, the ball can be hit anywhere in the oposite court right? It doesnt have to be in their right court? Thank you so much. That helped me a lot!

after the serve the ball can be hit anywhere...inside the court of course if you hit it out, well, then it's out and you lost the point...

Unregistered Guest
    after the serve the ball can be hit anywhere...inside the court of course if you hit it out, well, then it's out and you lost the point...
    You guys have been very helpful. I wish my coach was too. I played tennis when I was younger, so I still have my form. Out of all the new girls, I was the only one who did well. Well, I guess that doesn't get you anywhere. He said all of two words to me. Basically, I'm apart of the team, but I'm not playing the matches this year because there is a lot of older girls. I guess I should feel lucky that I'm going to be on the team, but it still sucks.

lol

hehe, I thought you were a boy Watch tennis on tv from time to time. It helps a lot. After a while you get the rules as well. I have learnd it from tv as well

Unregistered Guest
    hehe, I thought you were a boy Watch tennis on tv from time to time. It helps a lot. After a while you get the rules as well. I have learnd it from tv as well
    lol..I guess I should have stated I was a girl earlier huh? lol.

lol

no, lol, I just thought for some reason you were a boy...you could become a member here...it helps from time to time if you are on you way of becoming a tennis "fan".