» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 534

0 members and 534 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Thread: Rodick serve

Rodick serve

I was delighted about Rodick serve. I am practicing it last two years. Now I think it is not so hard and not so impossible, but it is some kind of unusual serve that other players don’t even try to practice. There is an explanation at http://www.info747.com/tennis_serve.htm

I would like to hear if someone else practice this kind of serve too. Sorry if my English is not so good.

Quote Originally Posted by MadridParis View Post
    I was delighted about Rodick serve. I am practicing it last two years. Now I think it is not so hard and not so impossible, but it is some kind of unusual serve that other players don’t even try to practice. There is an explanation at http://www.info747.com/tennis_serve.htm

I would like to hear if someone else practice this kind of serve too. Sorry if my English is not so good.

It's good when a person picks a Pro Player to emulate. It gives you motivation when you try to hit like the person you think is good. You talk about Andy Roddick's Serve and there are probably many who think it's a good serve.

My question to you is, are you trying to have a powerful serve or effective serve? The reason I ask this is because, you are aware I'm sure that for the Players who can track his shots, he usually loses against those Players even with the power serve he has.

I recall Roger Federer's win against Andy Roddick in the Wimbledon Finals, where Roger actually had more Aces than Roddick. If you feel you have a pretty good ground game, then I would say, by all means adding that type of serve to your game will serve you well (pun intended )

However if your Ground Game is not very strong, then I would look to developing an effective Serve as my priority. And what I mean by effective is a serve that could give you an Ace now and then but most controls the point from the moment you deliver it such as Pete Sampras, Roger Federer, Andre Agassi and I'll need to add Rafael Nadal to that list now because his Serve has become a weapon whereas before all it did was start the point off.

The key to success is getting under the ball exploding up into the contact and protruding outward towards the Court with follow-through. When you practice, the two angles you should work hard on is serving down the Center Tee if your opponent is standing a far from the center and of course the out-wide serve so you can follow up with the cross-court shot after their return, should there be one.
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Thank you for your answer!

I don't know how it sound, but my aim is not first of all to have a powerful serve or effective serve, but to enjoy tennis. It is not so important whether I win or lost, but to enjoy. When I was younger I was practicing karate and taekwondo. I was learning to strike at so manny way, but always symmetrical, with left and right leg and arm. Last 7 years I am practicing and playing tennis. I like symmetrical tennis as much as I can, with left and right arm (both backend, both forehand) and I am trying several kind of serves - because I enjoy such tennis.

Until three years ago my serve was ordinary one. Then I began to practice service similar like Tsonga and I was very satisfied. Two years ago I wanted to try new kind of service - Roddick's and Federer's. Federer's service was very easy to learn and I am very satisfied too. But Roddick's is very hard to learn, and yet it is a big challenge to me. My way is very strong, but not so similar as I want.

However, I do not agree if you think Roddick would be inside first 30 without so strong service. Also Ivo Karlovic inside first 100.

Not sure exactly what you mean by the "Roddick" serve. To me, it means employing more stomach muscles, less twisting motion, and short open prep, and a much quicker than most explosion of energy. That style matches JimCouriers and Roddicks motion around the court even when they are NOT hitting a tennis ball, they jerk around with endless energy, plenty of starts and stops, and always fidgeting. If you have tons of nervous energy, then maybe it's a good motion to copy.
    On The Other Hand, Karlovics motion is a long, lazy motion trying to eliminate all excess movement which tend to cause inconsistencies in his serve. He doesn't need more power, he needs to eliminate mistakes from all his long body flailing around.
    Two totally DIFFERENT and almost opposite mechanics from two very different body types.
    Which are you?

Yes, you are right. However, the basic characteristics of the Roddick’s serve: “the right arm is not raised behind the back and above the head but tightened in the elbow similarly as the position for punching. The length between the legs is one foot. No step should be made. Knees are bent and legs lean on the toes”. – by http://www.info747.com/tennis_serve.htm

Ivo Karlovic (including the most of other players), again quotation from http://www.info747.com/tennis_serve.htm: “The right arm raises to hit behind the back and above the head.”

Curently I am practicing similar tennis serve like Roddick, but sometimes like Tsonga. I am very satisfied (very powerful serve both first and second). Also, sometimes I am practicing Federer’s serve, what is much easier to do and to get a spin, but not so interesting.

And, hope my English was better this time.