» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 539

0 members and 539 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Thread: Becoming a 4.5?

Becoming a 4.5?

Hey all-

I know a 4.5 isn't shooting for the greatest but I was wondering how long people thought becoming a 4.5 tennis player would take. I haven't played much ever. My girlfriend played in college (go blue) and I watched a lot. I am now taking it up and hoping to become at least a 4.5 so I can rally with her.

I am not taking any lessons except learning from her and her father. I am posting my progress and the lessons I learn at my site
    www.erikvossman.com

Let me know what you think and if there are any tips you can imagine I would need.
    E
    Find out all
    about a Wicked Backhand

Unregistered Guest

Angry U Sucked me in

I went to your site and only then did I realized that you only posted here to get people to go to your site.

You don't even play tennis, do you?

You know live should be great on Honululu
    ------------------------------
    Greetings Ben tennis4ever

Thanks for the reply and...

Unregistered...

Hey thanks for going to my site unregistered, and I am not quite sure what you mean by you don't even play tennis. If by that you mean I haven't been a tennis player for my whole life then yes you are correct. But the point of my website is to explain and make myself accountable for my goals. My current goal in tennis is to become a 4.5 tennis.

My girlfriend has played her whole life and I spent my college career going to her tennis matches at the Univeristy of Michigan (go blue). She has been trying to get me get into tennis and I haven't ever really been interested.

However, we recently moved to Honolulu, Hawaii and are able to play year round, in perfect weather. So I told her, "Alright then we need a goal." Since my site is all about my goals and at the time I was starting it and trying to become good at all I try, I figured might as well. (Besides she really wants a doubles partner.)

So by whatever you meant, I say yes I do now play tennis. My blog is about trying to become good at what you do. My first posting in my blog is trying to become accountable, which if you follow sports, you are making those whom you watch accountable for their goals. I was trying to get fans to become accountable. So I guess yes, I also posted to get you to come to my site.
    E
    Find out all
    about a Wicked Backhand

Now on to my tennis lesson for the day

Well as you may have read the last post and found out that my girlfriend is fairly decent at playing tennis she is also my only tennis partner. She has me working on my forehand (western grip, halfway to the crazy western she uses, don't know how it doesn't go in the net all the time)

Anyway, the biggest thing that I need to do I found out, to get my body in position to even come close to a good forehand is to get my feet to the correct place.

MOVE YOUR FEET!, she says. I guess I have to move my feet. So I have been doing drills to get my feet moving and my body turned. I shuffle my feet from the middle of the baseline to the left corner of the left service box and back and then to the right corner of the right service box.

This has been helping. I also added in a turn when I get to the corner to simulate turning my body to position myself for a good fore or backhand.

Hope that shows you that I might play a little tennis now and then.

Aloha, and goodluck to those who have similar goals.

If you're in honolulu sometime lets play some doubles.
    E
    Find out all
    about a Wicked Backhand

Unregistered Guest

My bad, dawg!

Hey evossman,

When I visited your site the first time I saw no mention of tennis but I did see a blog about how to increase traffic to your site. I felt like you had suckered me into visiting your site by any means necessary (read: lying on various sites) just to get you count up. I've since visited again and it appears I was wrong so I apologize for my first post.

Enjoy tennis and I hope it brings you as much happiness as it does me.

One Handed backhand

I am working on a one handed backhand and having a lot of trouble. I feel like most of the problem is with my feet and getting my body in the correct position.

Does anyone have any tips on body placement for a one handed hackhand?
    E
    Find out all
    about a Wicked Backhand

Let er rip

Just thought I would throw a post up here again. This past week I learned you need to just let'er rip on a one-handed backhand. Don't try and direct the ball. On a forehand you might be able to get away with directing the ball but on a one-handed backhand, it's disaster.

Just unwind and let the beast take over.
    E
    Find out all
    about a Wicked Backhand

hmmm

i've always struggles with my one handed backhand also, that sounds like a good idea ill have ot try it. lol. not much to it i suppose.

shaman0979 Guest
    Hmmm, I would say 4 years, 7 months, and 12 days for the average person to get to a USTA 4.5 rating......

...just teasing. Seriously, how could there be a legitimate answer to that question. There are so may variables. How often do you hit, with whom (their skill), how old are you, do you get instruction, what kind, how consistently, what do you practice, do you play competitively, any injuries, and that sort of thing. If you only hit 1 hour a week and never play competitive matches on a regular basis, I would say it'll take a long, long time. That's my guess.

I've also heard of people self-rating at higher levels too, so theoretically you could be 4.5 next week. I can't quite get the logic of that, other than to be able to say that what "the rating is." Of course, if you played any USTA matches, you would likely get clobbered mercilessly.
    Last edited by shaman0979; 04-30-2006 at 09:55 AM.