» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 754

0 members and 754 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Tennis courts are too big!

How is it possible to build a new tennis court or new tennis club almost anywhere in the world these days? Apart from the tennis court construction being quite expensive, the piece of land you have to set aside to do it on is just way too valuable!
    Existing clubs are fine, but if anyone has an idea how to buy a piece of land, build tennis courts on it and then run a club with members, coaching etc. on it in a profitable way, I would like to hear it please!!
    I know a few years back I was coaching in Philadelphia on a summer camp and the owner had a beautiful indoor facility. (6 courts). Even he said, you can take that same square size and make it just a storage warehouse and you'll make a profit compared to the courts being in there.
    Fair enough, that was a state of the art indoor facility because of snow in the winter... But even open courts still won't be profitable enough to pay the monthly mortgage on a piece of land (situated well enough to attract members) with a tennis club on it.
    Football fields, Baseball pitches, Basketball courts, all cover a big area but can sustain a huge number of players at the same time, while tennis courts can handle 4 people at the most at the same time (unless your coaching huge groups of people).
    Are tennis courts indeed too big to be profitable?

Unregistered Guest

No, only service courts!

A Proposal For a New Tennis Court

And those who are interested (and of course they ought to understand tennis, too) could also read the whole article:
    http://www.helsinki.fi/~jpheikki/3malli

And before you will knock down this idea entirely I hope you read these two opinions:

1)"That sounds like an excellent idea. Anyone who watched the Davis Cup tie between the USA and Croatia yesterday will undoubtedly agree that the court was specifically designed to enhance the potency of Ljubicic's serve and the match was totally dominated by service winners. I think this detracts from the enjoyment of the sport. Exciting rallies are much more fun than one second of a ball flying past an opponent untouched..."

2)"Your concept is an interesting one. Have you actually painted a court as beautifully diagrammed at your website and played like this? In lieu of that I'm going to try it with ropes and give it a whirl. It looks like it could be everything you say! Of course the reality is the powers that be in tennis are a tough nut to crack..."

Off the subject

Very interesting, but a bit off the subject...
    Is deviding the court in 3 sections going to make it more profitable for me to build tennis courts on a piece of expensive land?

i know the idea

I read you idea on aonther forum some time ago...I hate it...sorry

Tibor

Unregistered Guest

Is painting too hard work for you, Tibor?

Why to hate? Such a strong form of expression! I don't understand it in another way but you must have perhaps dozens of tennis courts of your own.... And you are afraid of painting work with these couple of new lines per one court!

Perhaps you can give one dozen courts to tennisfaf! Painting can be easier for him!