» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 556

0 members and 556 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Thread: steffi graf

steffi graf

who think that steffi graf is by far the best tennis player ever?????steffi graf

yes

Quote Originally Posted by forehand
    who think that steffi graf is by far the best tennis player ever?????steffi graf

I think she is, or was..

Tibor

captainwiggly Guest
    I agree she was so dominant in her day. I can't wait to see what the offspring of Agassi & Graf produce in a future tennis player.

Unregistered Guest
    She was a great player and pretty much won in every generation she was in. To think she won her last grand slam title after Hingis's last grand slam title....

Yeah, especially mentally tough. Seeing her lose a match because of nerves was a very rare experience.
    Winning Mental Tennis Tips
    Make your mind your best ally

Talking Monica the Destroyer

I have alwas been a beliver that Monica was the best. I have great respect for the others but base my opinion on having watched her Destroy the best competion of her time. The record will never show her the justice she deserves.

she didn't win the calendar year grand slam though

Quote Originally Posted by haretrigger View Post
    I have alwas been a beliver that Monica was the best. I have great respect for the others but base my opinion on having watched her Destroy the best competion of her time. The record will never show her the justice she deserves.
    Haretrigger ~

I'm a big fan of your insight in this Sport, however the issue regarding Monica Seles is & will be one area we will always disagree. I don't believe you will find too many people on the Planet that won't agree Monica, in her prime, was a force to be dealt with. She had a style that gave the Top Players of her time, something very different to adjust to and I believe Monica's best weapon was her fighting spirit.

I will always admire Players who fight for each & every point. Never concede a point, if you have a play at it. Even if you can only get your racquet on the ball but not enough time to put something on it, can sometimes work out in your favor.

John McEnroe once said, "Stick your racquet out and sometimes good things can happen". Monica of course was very purposeful about her shots and strategy but we must not short the abilities of Steffi Graf.

When someone amass that many Grand Slam Titles, it's difficult to take constant criticism of her seriously. There's little available to do in our Sport that Steffi Graf hasn't accomplished.

When you think of what Monica 'could have accomplished' makes a weak argument compared to what she did accomplish. One could say, had Roger Federer not had a stomach flu, he would have certainly broken Borg's record this year at Wimbledon but history will forever record he was beaten.
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Thumbs up Monica Lost The Right To Compete

I guess watching Monica compete was amazing.
    When she was stabbed it stoped her. The injustice of what happened was made worse by the tennis community who just seem to forget her so quickly during her recovery. Not to mention the justice given to her attacker.
    So i probably will always defend her potential as it was all she was left with
    Last edited by haretrigger; 11-22-2008 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Just ordered two tennis racquets from Germany so all must be forgiven

Quote Originally Posted by haretrigger View Post
    I guess watching Monica compete was amazing.
    When she was stabbed it stoped her. The injustice of what happened was made worse by the tennis community who just seem to forget her so quickly during her recovery. Not to mention the justice given to her attacker.
    So i probably will always defend her potential as it was all she was left with
    Actually I must disagree once again, the WTA collectively agreed including Steffi Graf, that Monica's Ranking, which was #1 at the time of the stabbing, be frozen until her return. Although she took a very long time in doing so and in that period Steffi regained the #1 Rank, they referred to them as Co #1's It wasn't until Steffi thrashed Monica at the US Open which I was front & center in a Box Seat watching, did Steffi secure the #1 Spot solely.

I also want to point out that Steffi Graf wrote a letter to the German Court, asking for his seemingly hand slap to be re-determined because she too considered the penalty he received nothing less than a joke. There were many changes which the ITP ATP & WTA adopted due to Monica's attack.

Security for the Players became an extremely serious issue which hasn't relaxed since. So I suppose even though that did occur, it did result in a much safer environment for the Players, I suppose at Monica's expense.
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.

Martina Navratilova called her the "best all round tennis player" ever. High praise from her. It'd be a close call for me though between Martina and Steffi.

Quote Originally Posted by ilendl View Post
    Martina Navratilova called her the "best all round tennis player" ever. High praise from her. It'd be a close call for me though between Martina and Steffi.
    In all the years I've indulged in debate regarding these two women, I find it somewhat amusing that you ilendl accomplished two objectives in one very short post.

1. You've reached your 10th Post which by now Private Messaging is available to you. Congrats on that

2. It is the first time someone has summed this ongoing argument up by SIMPLY stating,
    "It'd be a close call for me though between Martina and Steffi"
    which is probably the most sensible comment of all. Congrats on that as well.

Coach

Monica definitely deserves to be the best of all, I was honored to see her practicing about two years ago in Sarasota, FL, she is still trying to come back but I don’t think she has any chance for returning to the game. According to Nick Bollettieri, her dad and her drove Nick crazy, he had to completely cover the court that she was used to practicing at, her dad didn’t want anyone to see her practice session.

Thanks Coach, appreciate that very much.

I think you and I agree on quite a few things which is terrific.

Firstly, one can't make an argument that someone is the best ever on the basis of what they may have achieved if they hadn't been injured/stabbed/retired/bored etc etc. Logically one can only make a judgement on the basis of what they did achieve.

Secondly your view on Lendl is spot on. I admit I am biased but the media played a huge role in the tennis world not appreciating his extraordinary achievements. I am a journalist of 25 years standing and I know how it works. Lendl simply didn't play "the game" their way and so he was undervalued.

Lastly, nice views on animal welfare. Compassion is in such short supply in this world of ours today.

Also this is a terrific site. I like debating the pros and cons of players, issues etc and you guys have created and maintain a terrific forum.

Congratulations and best regards.