» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 546

0 members and 546 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Thread: Avoid blisters?

Avoid blisters?

I play right handed and always get a blister below my little finger and sometimes on the side of my thumb, I'm not too bothered but I can remember one time it became quuite painful and I could bearely hold the racquet. I try and apply a plaster or tape, but they come off with sweat, does anyone have an effective alternative, thanks

x

It is sometimes because of the grip, maybe you need to change your grip more often, but if it is hurting i just put the ends of band aids on my blisters (the sticky part).

Now, i can't promise you this'll work for you, but when i started tennis, i had exactly the same problem - i would get painful blisters that could keep me off the court for weeks. But then i got more and more addicted to tennis - i couldn't stand not playing for so long. I never thought about using tape, or anything of the like - i simply played with the blisters. It hurt like heck, but now all the places where i used to get blisters have so thick skin, i haven't been bothered for months. But, if that doesn't work for you, i've noticed that adjusting your grip a little bit from the "pure" grip - not placing your thumb straight across a bevel, really helps a lot. You may also have a stressfull swing path - what sort of shots do you play?
    Hope it helps.

PREVENTION.....
    Try playing tennis twice a week to start, then adjust to 4 days a week. You build up the callouses.
    If you can't play often, then shovel some snow or dirt, go windsurfing, or do 30 pullups a day.

Most barbells and dumbells have that cross hatching in the grips. They build up callouses like nothing else I've ever done.