» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 605

0 members and 605 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Thread: greetings

greetings

Dear Mr. Wegner,
    I have read your book, "How To Play Better Tennis in 2 Hours", and purchased all of your CD's, and although I haven't had the opportunity to practice the methods you teach, I'm very exited about doing so.

I have a question that I would like to ask. I have recently become a high school tennis coach and I am now in charge of our summer tennis camps for all ages. I attended a convention this spring and learned of a teaching format called, "Quick Start" ("Play and Stay"), which empasizes using foam, or low compression balls, smaller racquets, and smaller courts for beginners, and an emphasis on rallying, instead of drills, to teach beginners. Do you have an opinion on this method of teaching? I also wondered if you could recommend any resources that might contain lesson plans for coaching beginners and young athletes.
    Thank you so much! I very much appreciate being a part of this forum!
    Brad Kriel

Hey Brad I too would like to know Oscars thoughts on this .Berty

i'm a part time teaching pro. and i'm a very strong supporter of the quickstart program. this is my opinion. the equipment were designed to give youngsters confidence in their strokes on scaled down courts designed for them. that then you combine oscar's teaching methods is a win win situation. lessons plans? you have it on the DVD. it all depends on the learning curve of the student. what i do is i get the parents involved with the kids and they become my "assistants". guess they what? they end up getting hooked as well. but what it does is it makes your job a hell of a lot easier because you can not see them on a 1 on 1 basis. you tell the parents what needs to be done and they help you enforce it. that simple.
    the important thing is you keep them moving because you need to get your job done. it's up to the parents to make sure what you teach is being practiced between sessions. otherwise you and the student just wasted your time completely.

Quote Originally Posted by bradkriel View Post
    Dear Mr. Wegner,
    I have read your book, "How To Play Better Tennis in 2 Hours", and purchased all of your CD's, and although I haven't had the opportunity to practice the methods you teach, I'm very exited about doing so.

I have a question that I would like to ask. I have recently become a high school tennis coach and I am now in charge of our summer tennis camps for all ages. I attended a convention this spring and learned of a teaching format called, "Quick Start" ("Play and Stay"), which empasizes using foam, or low compression balls, smaller racquets, and smaller courts for beginners, and an emphasis on rallying, instead of drills, to teach beginners. Do you have an opinion on this method of teaching? I also wondered if you could recommend any resources that might contain lesson plans for coaching beginners and young athletes.
    Thank you so much! I very much appreciate being a part of this forum!
    Brad Kriel
    Hi Brad,

Sorry it took so long to get to your question, but the forum has been inactive since it was taken over by spammers. Now that this issue has been cleared up I will moderate the forum and make sure that Oscar is aware of everyone's questions and comments. Here is Oscar's response: " I would recommend him then to call Susan Nardi, who is using the Quick Start WITH my techniques." You can find contact information for Susan on the Coaches page on Oscar's website: http://www.tennisteacher.com/tennis-...s-Listings.htm Susan if one of Oscar's top coaches and has her own program called "Mommy Daddy And Me Tennis". She utilizes the same system that Junbug mentioned above IE: getting the parents involved with their little children. Susan really has a gift with kids and I have observed her teach with amazing results. http://mommydaddyandmetennis.com/video.html

Also, be sure to study Oscar's classic "Tennis 101" DVD to incorporate the gradient of learning, which is very effective for children, starting them out just catching the ball. You can also get his newest DVD "53 Drills" and use Oscar's favorite drills for all levels of players, including kids.

Quickstart & MTM

Thanks Oscar & Tennis Angel for the kind words.

Quickstart and MTM work extremely well together. MTM is the most effective way out there to get kids (adults too) to play tennis fast. I've been using the both successfully for 5 years now with amazing results. If have any specific questions for me, I'll be happy to answer them.