» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 558

0 members and 558 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Oscar's new DVDs

I have just received the new Oscar Wegner DVD's and wanted to say to anyone who doesn't have them yet that they are well worth the price. Don't be put off by the titles: "Ultimate Professional Coaching Techniques" has much wider application than just coaching. It contains subtle developments and re-emphasis of the MTM techniques (such as what appears to a renewed focus of pulling across the ball in your strokes). "53 Drills for Better Tennis" does contain what it says on the box but the video segments contain within them so much additional information (one particular tip about putting away the short ball was worth the price alone!)

Anyway, I can already see myself re-watching these new DVDs multiple times just like the previous ones. Great stuff for less than the price of a single tennis lesson (here in the UK anyway)...

Quote Originally Posted by edelgar View Post
    I have just received the new Oscar Wegner DVD's and wanted to say to anyone who doesn't have them yet that they are well worth the price. Don't be put off by the titles: "Ultimate Professional Coaching Techniques" has much wider application than just coaching. It contains subtle developments and re-emphasis of the MTM techniques (such as what appears to a renewed focus of pulling across the ball in your strokes). "53 Drills for Better Tennis" does contain what it says on the box but the video segments contain within them so much additional information (one particular tip about putting away the short ball was worth the price alone!)

Anyway, I can already see myself re-watching these new DVDs multiple times just like the previous ones. Great stuff for less than the price of a single tennis lesson (here in the UK anyway)...
    Hi Edelgar, I agree about these 2 new DVDs - I especially like the section on the serve in "Ultimate Pro Tech" with Randy Ardenfriend and Oscar. Turning the back of the hand inward toward the right ear, hitting up on the serve, and coming across l to r (for right-hander) is the key to the topspin and kick serves! I didn't even want to try it, but this DVD section makes it understandable, and now that I'm developing a kicker my friends are getting frustrated! Can you tell us about the short ball putaway tip? And, did you ever get a new racquet and if so what did you choose (small grip as Oscar recommends?).

hey
    go take the coaches test when you master it!!!!

Hi All,

The advice to concentrate on spin and pronation on the serve is really great stuff. Around here, I see so many super-fast 1st serves that go in 10% of the time and then a 2nd serve that is tapped in with no pace or spin (and that sometimes even goes in to the net!)

Regarding the short ball put-away tip, I think it should be okay to give away two tips from the "53 drills" DVD here but I still recommend everyone to go ahead and buy it. First tip is necessary to understand the second.

Tip 1: when returning a high, deep, "moonball", imaging a glass barrier extending upward from the baseline. Swing up at the ball WITHOUT breaking this barrier i.e. swing mostly sideways and up, brushing across the ball. Tip 2: when putting away a mid-court, short ball, pretty much use the same swing but with the racquet tilted forward slightly.

Reviewing this, I realise this is quite difficult to illustrate...another reason for buying the DVD I suppose.

Tennislucy: see the other thread about my final racquet choice...feels v.good at the moment.

Junbug: what is the "coaches test"?

Regards,

Ed

Coaches Test

Quote Originally Posted by edelgar View Post
    Hi All,

what is the "coaches test"?

Regards,

Ed
    http://www.tennisteacher.com/tennis-...s-Listings.htm