» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 664

0 members and 664 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Question I have been employed as a 'hitter'??

Hi guys

So currently I am waiting for my results to qualify as a tennis coach in the UK, so I guess this is why I've been asked to do this... I've been asked by a parent to hit with her 10 year old daughter who has reached the finals of the county championships, but has been away on holiday so needs to get back into it. The guy who normally does this for her is away, so they needed someone to do it for them. They have said they will be pay me £8 for the hour.

Now call me naive for someone who is about to qualify as a coach, but for £8 what are they expecting of me? Obviously they don't want me to deliver a full blown coaching session - My interpetation is that they want me to feed her lots of balls in a variety of game situations, just for her to practise... is thsi correct?

Thanks in advance!!

8pds UK is about $15.00 USD per hour which is somewhat on the low side of the fence for a Professional Hitting Assistant. Most are getting in the neighborhood of $20 to $25 per hour. But there again, these are Hitters that have a strong track record, tons of references and are providing sustained service to the weaker areas of one's game according to whatever their Coach is seeing.

If you love the Sport, each & every opportunity you get to pad your Resume is worth its' weight in Gold. Even established Attorney's must supply Pro Bono work from time to time. So suck it up, go out there and give them what they want or somebody else will. I wouldn't even hesitate or wasting time asking this question. Once you've established confidence with the parents and they are convinced you have the skills to provide what their daughter needs to improve her game, the door will then be open for you to discuss what you feel is a more reasonable fee for your service. But I fear you probably have to prove yourself first unless of course, they found you through an advertisement where it specifies what your rate is.

Good Luck in your new position, you'll have fun watching your Student grow and get stronger. If she's thinking in terms of going Pro someday, give her a taste of what she will be seeing if that should happen but not on a consistent basis. You don't want to frustrate her to a point where she hangs her racquet up for good.

Hitter

As you're an aspiring coach, so this is part of your future business, I think you should be carefully, as Iagree, this is good on your CV, However I would personally try and negotiate up to half the the price of an average tennis lesson eg. £15 for the hour. I would not expect you to hit with my son for an hour for £8 - I think that's a bit of an insult personally. Good luck!

UK Tennis Coaching

Quote Originally Posted by suzzi2704 View Post
    Hi guys

So currently I am waiting for my results to qualify as a tennis coach in the UK, so I guess this is why I've been asked to do this... I've been asked by a parent to hit with her 10 year old daughter who has reached the finals of the county championships, but has been away on holiday so needs to get back into it. The guy who normally does this for her is away, so they needed someone to do it for them. They have said they will be pay me £8 for the hour.

Now call me naive for someone who is about to qualify as a coach, but for £8 what are they expecting of me? Obviously they don't want me to deliver a full blown coaching session - My interpetation is that they want me to feed her lots of balls in a variety of game situations, just for her to practise... is thsi correct?

Thanks in advance!!
    Sounds like the 10 year old needs Oscar Wegner's method. You might like to check out Oscar's Modern Tennis International (Middlesex) including their LTA certification program and coaching opportunities:
    http://www.playmoderntennis.com/index.php and you might like to take a look at Oscar's phenomenal book and DVDs at www.tennisteacher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Helen HJL View Post
    As you're an aspiring coach, so this is part of your future business, I think you should be carefully, as Iagree, this is good on your CV, However I would personally try and negotiate up to half the the price of an average tennis lesson eg. £15 for the hour. I would not expect you to hit with my son for an hour for £8 - I think that's a bit of an insult personally. Good luck!

greetings Helen ~

btw, what's your background in Tennis?

Hi Coach,

My background is purely playing and watching for fun and has always been a passion of mine. I met my husband through tennis and now we have our own tennis business. John and his partner Andrew are the true tennis experts and I support them and the team with the website, marketing, business and financial management etc. I'm not here to push our business but if you do want more info, as you're based in the UK, just ask.

So Suzzi, how did you get on with your hitter job? Did you improve on the price?

Helen

Quote Originally Posted by Helen HJL View Post
    Hi Coach,

My background is purely playing and watching for fun and has always been a passion of mine. I met my husband through tennis and now we have our own tennis business. John and his partner Andrew are the true tennis experts and I support them and the team with the website, marketing, business and financial management etc. I'm not here to push our business but if you do want more info, as you're based in the UK, just ask.
    Helen
    Greetings Helen ~

In order to keep with the Rules of Conduct, you may PM your information to me. However if there is any advertising information you'd like to Post, send a PM to John (Admin). Give him a rundown of what you'd like to share with our Community. He'll decide if it's appropriate for the Forum. You'll find John is an awesome guy and very reasonable. I am not in the UK, I currently reside in New England not England if that was misunderstood (sorry). Of all the places in the World I've traveled, Great Britain is still on my list of must see places.

If your husband has free time in the evening, tell him to join the Community and offer his insight on the World of Tennis. I'd love to exchange with him and you as well since you've probably learned a lot just by association.

Coach
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Hi Coach,

Oh even nicer to be based in New England!!! I love that place.

Good to hear from you. John registered last week on this site so he'll be able to chat with you. He posted a new thread about 2500 UK tennis clubs closing down.

All the best, Helen