» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 257

0 members and 257 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Replacement for Wilson Prostaff 6.1

I play with the Wilson Prostaff 6.1 Classic 95.0, and like the headlight/control feel. It has been available through large-volume racquet dealers, but I understand that is stopping.

Does anyone know of an exact replacement; are the K Six One and nCode 6.1 supposed to be the exact feel (specs are similar but not exact)? Does Babolat of Head make an equivalent?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

jg

jim, tennis pro shops usually carry demos which you can rent for a certain fee. you have to try it out yourself and decide. just a hint, most of the rackets that are coming out today are basically an improvement of their prior model. you can also look for good used rackets on the message boards of TW without having to spend an arm and a leg on a new stick.

The pro/instructor my kids hit with used a 6.3 Hyper Hammer for years and JUST switched to the K Blade. He loves it.

On TT, there are a handful of players that say the N6.1 95 plays and feels better then the K6.1 95. It all depends on personal preference but from what I see, you seem to like the PS6.1 95 so the switch from that to the N6.1 95 will be a nice change for you.

Although I do suggest that you do the demo program that junbug has said in his post. That way, you can demo racquets to play and see if you like it or not.

Lightbulb Another thing............

Another thing you may want to consider when testing a racquet for control and especially feel, is to note what the racquet is strung with, string pattern and at what tension. You know what string you use currently, so when you test a racquet comparing the string, pattern and tension can have a major impact on control and feel.

You can also try the "Racquet Finder" link at Tennis Warehouse which can help you find a racquet by its manufacturers specs. Looking at it now it shows several racquets that meet your racquets specs, including the NCode and KFactor 95 racquets. Just click on the Wilson button (lower right) and search for your racquet. BoL

http://www.racquetfinder.com/search.htm

Cheers, TennezSport
    USRSA-MRT; USPTA; USTA
    Yonex RDS002 Tour w/ Tecnifibre X1 Biphase 17 @ 60/57

I had the same dilemma 6 weeks ago. I had a PS 6.1 and tried out about 4 different racquets at Sport Chalet : 3 wilsons and a babolat. In the end the most similar one for me was the K6.1 95, all the other raquets had a 'weakness' in either power or control. I liked the babolat Aero, nice lightweight racquet, a close #2 but ended up sticking with the son or daughter of the PS6.1 95 : the K6.1 95.

The KSixOne is an exact update of the racquet as far as balance, weight, string pattern, etc...(as the NSixOne was the previos generation update) wilson will however be releasing a new line of Six One racquets probably early-middle of 2009... Several K racquets will stay in the line, like the blade and Pro Open racquets... if you like the feel of the Six One try the new incarnation (Kfactor) as well as the blade 98 and tour, they are excellent offerings for player's frames (i love the blade tour and used to play with the classic six one, n six one, and k six one) as far as head is concerned try the Prestige line (all of them, they are a little softer than wilson) and check out the Babolat Storm tour and Storm LTD, both sweet sticks but with a much softer feel than either wilson or head... hope this helps...