» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 522

0 members and 522 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs up Like to add.........

With regards to the Pete/Agassi, Fed/Nadal statements, people like to be able to relate to each other and when you have players like Pete and Rog it's very difficult to relate. Their game are so fluid and free that most people have no idea what that feels like, can't relate, so their games can become boring to some.

On the other hand people see Agassi/Nadal hustle and bustle around the court and this they can relate to that, as most people fight themselves and their opponents on court. This makes them feel more connected to that type of player, especially when you add the point winning celebration ala Nads.

Regarding the comments about Roddick, nothing else to add, as you not natural at all.

Cheers, TennezSport

I like your point which is why blue collar workers think Dem politicians understand them better and white collar workers think Repub politicians understand them better.

Your point was well taken. It's all about the fight which is why I enjoyed baseline players over S&V Players. I love a good baseline battle. Andy Murray appeared to float around the court very well at the Open this year. I was very impressed by him.

I use to like Ivan Lendl and couldn't understand why the Audience never warmed up to him because he was a very funny guy off court but stiff as a board on court. it doesn't bother me at all when someone doesn't care for a Player I admire. I'll tell you this however, I've yet to get one kid coming up to me asking if they can learn to hit like Federer. Most want to hit like Agassi and now Nadal. I'm able to show the Agassi stroke to them but I've yet to master the Nadal stroke enough to demonstrate.
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Andy Murray appeared to float around the court very well at the Open this year. I was very impressed by him.
    I was also impressed and I think that it will be a very good '09 season for Andy, if he can keep his head straight. More worries for Nads, I think.

I use to like Ivan Lendl and couldn't understand why the Audience never warmed up to him because he was a very funny guy off court but stiff as a board on court. it doesn't bother me at all when someone doesn't care for a Player I admire.
    I really enjoyed watching Ivan play as well but I understand that most Americans looked at him like Ivan Drago from Rocky, that picture of a communist destroyer. Lendl was nothing like that but as Agassi used to say "Image is everything". I remember rooting for Lendl when he played the USO against Tim Mayotte on the Grandstand court, and almost getting beaten to a pulp by the crowd; really fun day as Lendl won, we made a quick exit

I'll tell you this however, I've yet to get one kid coming up to me asking if they can learn to hit like Federer. Most want to hit like Agassi and now Nadal. I'm able to show the Agassi stroke to them but I've yet to master the Nadal stroke enough to demonstrate.
    I know what you mean about kids not trying to copy Fed, most people don't understand it; looks too easy, not fun. However with Agassi and Nads strokes you can see the work, easy to relate. Although, I would not try to teach Nads strokes as they are totally his and would probably hurt someone else. It's like trying to teach McEnroe's strokes, just ain't natural.

Cheers, TennezSport

Quote Originally Posted by TennezSport View Post

I know what you mean about kids not trying to copy Fed, most people don't understand it; looks too easy, not fun. However with Agassi and Nads strokes you can see the work, easy to relate. Although, I would not try to teach Nads strokes as they are totally his and would probably hurt someone else. It's like trying to teach McEnroe's strokes, just ain't natural.

Cheers, TennezSport
    Well B4 I can show the stroke, I have 2 learn it myself. I hit with a buddy of mine a few months back. He's a seasoned player as well. Both of us were trying to get that Nadal forehand down and 2B honest, we both failed miserably. Extreme heavy Top Spin but if you think you can just use an extreme western grip, that's only part of what Nadal does. He brushes up on the ball but at the same time punches it forward. The results are similar to a kick serve where, when the ball makes contact with the Court, it kicks up at you and if you're not prepared, you're hitting the ball up around your ears.

You have to hit on the rise against Nadal, which only a few guys can do well against him. Apparently Andy Murray has learned to deal with it. As I tell my kids & friends, : Don't worry about how to hit like Nadal, work on your game plan against that style of hitting".
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.

My, what a fuss ! what did Novak say ?

Thumbs up Spin spin spin..............

Extreme heavy Top Spin but if you think you can just use an extreme western grip, that's only part of what Nadal does. He brushes up on the ball but at the same time punches it forward. The results are similar to a kick serve where, when the ball makes contact with the Court, it kicks up at you and if you're not prepared, you're hitting the ball up around your ears.
    Hehehehe, I know what you mean, that is why I said it ain't natural. To get that forward motion that you discribed you have to slap at the ball using your wrist, which is why Nads has that Popeye left arm. Not something I would try to teach.

You have to hit on the rise against Nadal, which only a few guys can do well against him. Apparently Andy Murray has learned to deal with it.
    If you take a look at the tape you will see that many times Murray actually played deep letting the ball come down, but as soon as he got a shorter ball he used his ability to come forward and take it on the rise. His defensive skill was equal to Nads but his offensive attacks were surgical.

Cheers, TenezSport

Andy's tactics against Rafa were superb, no other way to describe it. He played the most strategic game plan against a guy he had a losing record to. For Andy to beat Rafa in a Major when Rafa has just become #1 in the World, seeded #1 in a Major for the 1st time in a Major and when Rafa is feeling the most confidence he's ever had, was nothing less than amazing.

You are correct that Andy stood back during Rafa's service game, however if you watch the Tape as you mentioned, Andy only stayed back until Rafa tossed the ball up, then he would move in. At the point of return contact, Andy was pretty much at the baseline. If you stand back as far as Andy was standing and wait for the ball to decline, you will be giving up way too much real estate for Rafa to clean your clock.

Agreed...........

Andy's tactics against Rafa were superb, no other way to describe it. He played the most strategic game plan against a guy he had a losing record to. For Andy to beat Rafa in a Major when Rafa has just become #1 in the World, seeded #1 in a Major for the 1st time in a Major and when Rafa is feeling the most confidence he's ever had, was nothing less than amazing.
    Truely, and not good news for Nads as the list of players that use this tactic is growing.

You are correct that Andy stood back during Rafa's service game, however if you watch the Tape as you mentioned, Andy only stayed back until Rafa tossed the ball up, then he would move in. At the point of return contact, Andy was pretty much at the baseline. If you stand back as far as Andy was standing and wait for the ball to decline, you will be giving up way too much real estate for Rafa to clean your clock.
    Yes I saw that also, all I can say is I absolutely agree on both points. I loved how Andy gave Nads the impression he was staying back and then pounced on any second serve or short ball.

Cheers, TennezSport

I completely agree. The three best matches I saw this year all included Rafa and he was on the losing side twice! The other loss being to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the Semis at the Australian. Unfortunately, both Andy and Jo-Wilfried were completely spent after beating Rafa.

As for the thread, I loved Djokovic when he came on the scene, but I've felt he's a bit of jerk for awhile now. The Roddick incident just confirmed my suspicions.

Oh and put me in the camp of those who was rooting for Rafa at Wimbledon, just as I root for Fed at the French. I'm generally for the underdog.