» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 509

0 members and 509 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Question about R.Federer's USO Win

I assume by now most have either seen the Championship Match between Federer & Murray or know the results, so I trust I'm not spoiling anything.
    I can pick apart a number of issues that truly bothered me about the arguably best Player in the World's performance during that match.

This is what I saw:

1. Poor Volleys Technique
    2. Poor Overhead Technique
    3. Court Coverage nowhere near what we've seen from him in past years.
    4. Often predictable game strategy
    5. Reminiscent of Sampras, needed his serve to get out of trouble.
    6. Seem to lack confidence on his forehand side.
    7. Hesitant to come to Net on effective DTL shots.

Maybe there were more problems with his overall game but Andy Murray failed to capitalize at key moments that Federer couldn't put the ball away. Quite possible the match against Rafa took more out of him than we realized.

What do you think about it?
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

I think he was much more aggressive and as a result, he made more errors. I do agree that his net play was not as good as before. Not sure about his court coverage though. Murray has great hands and accurate shots. Sometimes it makes your opponent look slower than they are because they struggle to get to those acute angles. I think the scoreline too shows that Roger played well.

When you are the considered the best Player in the World or in Roger's case, the 2nd best, in the eyes of many, when Roger is on his game & feeling healthy, he is the man to beat at 3 of the 4 Majors. Given he has yet to dominant Rafa at the French Open is only a few crucial point here or there that Nadal has previously been more successful on. But the fact that even with Nadal the indisputable King of Clay, he is always looking at Roger Federer on the opposite side of the Net in the Finals.

With that measure of consistency, it is difficult for me to imagine why I witnessed an enormous amount of tactical errors coming from his racquet, especially at the Net.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athard
    I think he was much more aggressive and as a result, he made more errors.
    The name of the game for winning results these days can be nothing less than an aggressive play. Roger Federer is well aware of those who want what he has and this hasn't come about in the last few months. His US Open win against Andre Agassi (2005), showed a Roger Federer style of play that I occasionally get a glimpse of these days. I felt the momentum had moved in his direction at Wimbledon this year after Sets 3 & 4, however Federer began play of the 5th Set as if he were waiting for Rafa to fold instead of taking it to him from word go and finishing him off. From what we've often seen of his abilities whether you like his style or not, no one should be able to deny that he has the game to fight off the heartiest attacks. Yet in game number two, there was a noticeable let down which ultimately cost him. Did Roger tire or instill a false sense of confidence that given he now pulled his game back together in the last two sets, Nadal would soon falter?
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.