» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 451

0 members and 451 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
    sixers8283 Guest

I have a question

So I was warming up right before my match with my doubles partner. I was hitting beautifully, serving great, and I was in a rythym. Then we did introductions for the players. Then me and my doubles partner started warming up with our opponents and what do you think happens? MY STRINGS BREAK!

I had to use someone elses racket. Excuse the spelling mistakes by the way. The racket I had to use I did terrible with. I lost my rythym, my forhand was terrible. I just couldn't hit.

Should I have been able to hit just as good as I did with my original racket or does it matter if your used to the racket or not?

Tough one

I guess it comes down to whether you can play a match the same as what you practise... If you practise with a lot of different rackets you'll be able to play a match with different rackets...
    Maybe thats why the pro's have LOADS of rackets that is exactly the same weight etc. and strung exactly the same tension??

A clever guy called Brad Gilbert said:"Be prepared with your equipment, so it is never the reason why you have lost."

If it is important for you to win, you'll have 2 (or 3 even!) rackets in your bag on the court that is exactly the same to play a match with.

shaman0979 Guest

Talking For Sure

Backup racquets are a must, especially if you hit hard, use a lot of spin or play with narrow guage strings. I rotate three racquets deliberately in matches, just to see if I can tell any difference. I mean they're all the same model, are all strung the same and even have the same white overgrip and vibration dampener. Believe me, the last time a string broke and I went to the bag, it was like nothing was different.
    Last edited by shaman0979; 04-30-2006 at 09:37 AM.

Yes the change of racket matters. But if it wrecked your play for the rest of the day, the problem was mainly that it psyched you out. When something like that happens, don't think about the future. Stay in the here and now. Expect to lose a few points and games before you get your game going again. Be confident that you will. Be determined that you will!

hey

hi
    my strings have burst during a match. i know its hard adjusting to someone else's racket. I do agree that it disrupts your game but if you're a good player you adjust to it quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by wcase23
    hi
    my strings have burst during a match. i know its hard adjusting to someone else's racket. I do agree that it disrupts your game but if you're a good player you adjust to it quickly.
    I dont think this is full true.. even if you a good player it still takes you a couple of games to get used to it. I have about 6 racquets strung at all the same tensions with the same string etc.. and i can tell how long it will take me to break a string .. and even though really they are all the same at the start, there is still something that makes each one feel a bit different