» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 522

0 members and 522 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can Federer win the French Open

He is now 0-5 against Nadal on clay. Does Federer realistically have what it takes to beat Nadal on clay?

I honestly do not think so. He certainly has the talent, but Nadal has the tenacity to unrattle Federer; he makes him hit one or two extra winners per rally. Shots that other players would not get to, Nadal answers strongly, forcing Federer to expend extra energy, both mentally and physically. Their matches are great; both players play at the top of their game. But Nadal is better this year; a more varied serve, and better at the net. Federer is in trouble.

i think he can. nadal hasnt been playing to well and federer is on top of his game. i cant wait to see!

What do you mean? If Federer is on top of his game, then why is he losing so many matches? You might be talking specifically about the semi-finals in Hamburg; do not be deceived. Nadal struggled in the semis in Rome; yet he dismantled González quite easily. Let us see...

I agree with John now

John, after Hamburg, I agree with you. Federer can win the French open. However, Nadal was fatigued, having played five tournaments in five weeks.
    Also, the clay in France is the slowest.

Federer has to beat ferrero, Davydenko and Caņas before he plays Nadal in the finals. Also, Nadal has to somehow get there as well!

They have great respect for each other. Today Federer said that he does not expect to beat Nadal every time he plays him. Nadal, on the other hand, says that Federer is "unbeleivable".

Having watched many matches between them, I have to say that they bring out the best in each other. Up to Hamburg, ususally they were close matches. The fact that Federer won the last two sets 6-1 and 6-0 says a lot....let us see!

Kamalakanta

Thumbs up Can Federer win the 2008 French Open

Yes I am quite sure he can, he has spent far less time on court at RG this year than has Nadal, there is in my opinion, not a lot now between them therefore I hope Federer with more energy can win it. Also I am one for records and hope he can win the French Open and then go on to win at least 2 more Grand Slams to surpass the great Sampras.

As a rafa fan I have to agree that fed has improved on clay but I do not believe even close to Rafa's talent and strength. That is not an insult, just the way it is for now.

Wimbledon will be very important because it was such a emotional loss for Rafa last year.

Smile Can Federer win the FO?

I'm a Federer fan and maybe he does have a shot this year

Nadal is a young lion. While he can play a lot of tough tennis getting through to the final and still come up with the goods, the big worry for him are the blisters on his feet. And don't forget he still has to get past Djokovic in the semis. If that goes to five sets I would definitely favor Rafa. But, what will his feet be like after it?

Roger seems very confident at the moment but does he really have the game on clay to hurt Rafa when it counts? Certainly he moves very well. He slides with the best of them, but Rafa with his heavy top spin is able to kick the ball up around Roger's shoulders consistently. It's very hard to play an attacking game when the ball is up there especially if you have a one handed back hand.

Roger's best chance is to hope that Rafa's blisters come back to haunt him. If that happens, he does have a chance.

According to the latest interview with rafa they have found the bandage combination that protects his foot and takes away the pain.

Rafa has looked totally focused and powerful and I think he is sliding better than ever on clay if you can even imagine that.

Rafa will win but it won't be easy in the semi or finals. Vamos Rafa, vamos.

Federer is actually like 1-5 head to head against nadal coz he beat him in hamburg last or 2 years ago, but i reckon he does hav wat it takes to win the french this year because he looks like he is playing preety well wen he sweeped past ancic.

Wink

I don't know if i would say that fed has a great chance to win RG but he has improved on clay and appears to be over the mono. Fed did look a little more shakey today and more emotional than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by luvyoyoma1954 View Post
    I don't know if i would say that fed has a great chance to win RG but he has improved on clay and appears to be over the mono. Fed did look a little more shakey today and more emotional than usual.
    Yes, Fed really seems to have come out of his illness, and he has to play against nadal (if both of them get to the final) his best tennis...he had difficulties in the last few times, he just doesn't seem to be able to dig out his best tennis when he needs to...I think his chances were never better then this year to win it...he's played Nadal so many times now on clay, as good as he is, he should be able to bet Nadal at least once in a 5 setter on clay...I hope he won't though...I still hope, if Fed was to equal Borg's record of 5 straigt wimbledon titles, then Rafa should to the same equaling at the French

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tibor View Post
    Yes, Fed really seems to have come out of his illness, and he has to play against nadal (if both of them get to the final) his best tennis...he had difficulties in the last few times, he just doesn't seem to be able to dig out his best tennis when he needs to...I think his chances were never better then this year to win it...he's played Nadal so many times now on clay, as good as he is, he should be able to bet Nadal at least once in a 5 setter on clay...I hope he won't though...I still hope, if Fed was to equal Borg's record of 5 straigt wimbledon titles, then Rafa should to the same equaling at the French

That is very kind and a thoughtful way to look at the competition. % for each on their favorite platforms.

Federer is more poised now than ever, like in the beginning of his ascent to number one, and, most likely because of Jose Higueras influence, has cut down on his unforced errors. His timing is much better lately, and he seems to have regained the confidence on his forehand. He also has had reasonably short matches, and must be in as good a shape as ever for the semifinals and final. Short of a terrible day on the court, he should get to the final and pose a formidable threat to Rafa Nadal. Rafa is playing fabulous, but tennis is an interesting sport, in which sometimes the difference, at the level of play of Nadal and Federer, is in a few important points, and many times in the outcome of the first set. Very telling will be the semifinal between Nadal and Djokovic. This will really tell us Nadal's form and Djokovic's talent. I cannot wait for these semifinals, this is exciting for this wonderful sport, where you have to get on the court and create every day. Nobody "has it". Nobody "is". They are what they "do" that particular day.
    Oscar Wegner
    www.TennisTeacher.com
    THE LEADER in modern tennis teaching methodology.

Wink

I have only followed tennis for a year, but I have seen the tennis match change completely from one set to the next and back. It is an incredible indiviual sport whose level of self confidence and temper plays such a HUGE part of the game.