» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 536

0 members and 536 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Can You Tell Me What's Wrong?

Here is a video of an eight year old young lady, who probably has dreams of becoming #1 in the World someday if she can only get that darn ball in the Service Box. Well I'd like to see how many of you can identify what her basic problem is with what she's doing?

I could very easily break it down for you but I'm guessing there are plenty here that can do a very good job as well telling me how you would correct her serve. Please don't say she's too small, that's not the problem.

Watch this Video and tell us what you see wrong
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

I'd like to see her toss the ball a little more to the right and a little more out in front. I'd like to see her tuck her left arm into her body after the toss. Also, her follow-through stops a bit short. On the positive side, I love that she is really reaching for the ball, and she really seems to have nice timing!

Talking Kicker Kicker

I think they are trying to teach her a kick serve.
    She needs to toss more in front put in some body weight and snap the wrist for a normal serve.
    Ill be interested to see what the problem is

Get a good Coach, money well spent, he will correct it, and work hard at it !

Well that was very informative but I'm actually asking about this particular young student who is probably being instructed by her Dad. As Harwin said, she needs a Coach which indicates, no good Coach would allow someone to hit that many shots without correcting the Toss, Swing, Pronation and other aspect of why she's having difficulty.

So again, what is it that will help THIS promising future Tennis Star? And btw, Max, you're getting very warm as we use to say when I was a kid.
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Correction

This girl being at the age of eight who is struggling to get serves in play should not be working on hitting a kick serve. Serves should be worked on in the following order: Consistency, Accuracy, Spin then Power.

The correction for this girl is to line up her body properly first. Draw a line on the court that crosses the baseline in the direction of the service box she is targeting. The tips of her toes should be on this line so when standing sideways she is lined up properly. The racquet on takeaway should drop back along that line and as she starts to swing forward it should continue on that line. Finally her step forward should end up on the same target line.

Using this method she will be using all of her body momentum behind the serve without wasted movement. When you are young and smaller it is imparitive that you use everything you have to create power.

Players in the 12 and under catagories need to focus on consistency and building the a solid foundation in which their game can be built around.

Mike Burge
    USPTA Master Professional
    www.dynamicdoubles.com