» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 501

0 members and 501 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

believe in the wall

Quote Originally Posted by willrhaynes View Post
    Hello to all:

I guess we all have a passion, my passion is teaching kids to play tennis. I started teaching childrens tennis in Asmara Eritrea. At first I observed the coaching methodology from the coaches in Asmara, watched countless tennis coaching videos and attended a popular tennis school in Florida to gain the knowledge I thought was needed to be an effective coach. All the instruction was pretty much the same, and they all lacked one very important teaching method. The WALL or backboard--I could go on and on about its virtures but I will stop for now--hope to hear from any one that uses the hitting wall for teaching tennis to beginners.

Will
    Make the wall your friend! 2 tips:

#1 In inclement weather you can still get in a great practice by hitting on a racquetball court against the wall. This is also a great place to practice with beginners and/or little kids with less running around after errant balls. With the little ones, make it a "game" and make it fun!

#2 Here's a variation on hitting the wall which I learned from Oscar Wegner: take a piece of 4x4 plywood and lean it against a wall at an angle. Hit volleys against this slant board until you can do 100 on each side, then 100 on alternating sides. If your form is correct you will be able to do this with practice and without straining your arm. The more slanted the board the easier it is to volley. Start close to the board then work your way back. This drill will really help your form! My 6-year-old grandson loves to "play" this "game" with me.
    Last edited by Tennis Angel; 09-22-2008 at 07:24 PM.
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.

not sure what you mean by hitting on each side of the 4x4 and the alternating sides?

Talking 4x4

Taking a guess she means forehand volleys for a hundred then bachand for a hundred.
    Sounds like a great idea i will put it in practice as soon as i ger the plywood and, let you know.
    I have a rebound net in my shed tha i hit foam balls against(DUE TO THE NOISE OF REAL BALLS IF THEY HIT THE METAL IN THE SHED) Its a great workout and is at my house.
    I still use the wall when i can but they are not as common in Australia as the U.S.

Volley Board

Quote Originally Posted by haretrigger View Post
    Taking a guess she means forehand volleys for a hundred then bachand for a hundred.
    Sounds like a great idea i will put it in practice as soon as i ger the plywood and, let you know.
    I have a rebound net in my shed tha i hit foam balls against(DUE TO THE NOISE OF REAL BALLS IF THEY HIT THE METAL IN THE SHED) Its a great workout and is at my house.
    I still use the wall when i can but they are not as common in Australia as the U.S.
    You got it, Haretrigger - hit forehands, then backhands, then alternate forehand-backhand volleys. It may sound impossible, to hit 100 each but it can be done with practice - don't wear your arm out though. I do this drill for about 20 - 30 minutes at the most. The point is that if your form is off your arm will hurt right away, but if you are holding the racquet properly with the correct volley motion you should, in time, be able to hit 100 volleys without missing. I also like using the foam and no-compression balls for practicing too. I even play in the house with my grandson with the foam balls and we have some great rallys and lots of fun.
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.

Talking 4x4

Tried the 4x4 yesterday. I had a 4X4 piece of hardwood 2 in thick.
    Problem was too much rebound. I think i need the plywood for that.
    Just realised i can use my rebound net if i hit higher and harder. It comes back high enough for volleys. My arm feels ok but a little strain. Have to work on my form. Its all good fun working on your game.
    Looking foward to getting OSCARS DVDS. I really enjoy his teachings