» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 330

0 members and 330 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Tennis newbie. :)

Hey, I was doing Google searches on tennis related stuff, and I happened to stumple upon this website.. Looks cool, so I decided to join. Anywho, I have a few questions, and some might make me sound like an idiot to you guys, but hey, I just started playing tennis this summer... But yeah, my first racket was a Wilson nCode n5 OS, but after watching random Youtube videos of Nadal and Federer, I basically chose who to follow on a coin toss.. hah, just kidding. Seeing how I'm a lefty, I chose Nadal, and he's sick. NOT CHOOSING SIDES, relax people.
    I currently own a APDC, with Wilson NXT Tour 17 (I think, or 16 but pretty sure), which is known for being string movers and whatnot. I'm planning on changing strings soon, because I have a feeling they'll break. If height matters, i'm 5'7", always pray to hit forehands with enough topspin. I used to do two-handed backhands, and I always get them in, but now I'm attempting to switch to one-handed. My serves are alright at best, but always experimenting until I find a comfy routine.
    I'm just curious as to know what kind of strings I should get if the above information helps, what tensions, and just like an explanation of why mains should have a higher tension than the crosses or vice versa. I heard these are on the rise: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/desc...N-ALUPR16.html so I'm thinking of that, given my tennis store has them. I don't care if it's hybrids, or just that one string.. But i'm totally open to suggestions.
    Sorry for the 5-minute rant.. I just happened to do that for no reason. Oops. Take care, and thanks in advance if you help me out.

Well my new friend, for someone who has just started playing, you come across as very knowledgeable with a clear mindset of how you need to approach your learning.

First Welcome to Tennisw.

Strings are sometimes overlooked yet can be arguably considered one of the most important factors after how you strike the ball. Equipment is crucial to the game and the strings are none short of that. Some basic elements to understand about the Strings you place.

1. Conventional thinking is, the heavier the gauge, the better control. Well essentially that's correct to a point. And the smaller the gauge the more power or pop you'll get from your strings.

Now if we were all physics majors, we can further calculate psi (pounds per square inch) in conjunction with mass (95sq in or 110sq in, etc) , frame thickness and flexibility and arrive at the optimal gauge of string for what type of game you intend to play. Then we have to consider combinations, into this equation.
    But I will simply say, Strings which are strung from top of frame downward are the ones that produce the spin of the ball and the strings that are strung from side to side, tend to produce the power. Well how do we know that?

Easy, consider how the ball is struck and which position your racquet is at during that moment of contact. The Strings from side-to-side are the ones the project the ball from your racquet while the strings from top-to-bottom brush up on the ball causing it to rotate or spin.

2. So now you have the basic theory of how Strings function on the racquet. Well what do you do with this information? I like combination sets, yes they are more expensive and yes the more you play the more you're gonna need to replace them so you should take out a small mortgage loan now if you intend to go at it every day possible.

What I do is place Polyester Strings on my long run and a good Natural or Synthetic Gut string on my cross-strungs. I underlined Natural because they are expensive but absolutely worth every dime. Thing is, I tell my kids, if results is what you're shooting for, try these and if you like but can't afford, then we'll go to Plan B.

Some strings I recommend without a Player's Level i mind. I think of only two elements; (1) Are you into Tennis as one of your favorite pastimes or (2) are you simply a once a month kind of player who basically goes out with friends to hit the ball around, laugh and have a good time. Why encourage the latter in spending lots of cash...

Solo Set
    Babolat Pro Hurricane 16
    Topspin Seven Sence

Combination Sets
    Signum Pro Poly Megaforce & Pacific Prime Gut or Pro Supex Original Synthetic Gut

* Start out with a 16 gauge string between 1.25mm no more than 1.30mm
    If you are in the range of 2.5 to 3.5 Player. Your PSI should be between 58 - 65psi preferably (62-65psi)

Well that's enough for now . .please tell us what you decided and once again
    Thanks for becoming a New Member

Coach
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Well, to answer your question, I try to play tennis whenever I can, whether it be with friends that are on varsity high school or even people in my college tennis team, to by myself practicing my serves or ground strokes at the wall. Whatever I can do to get better, without spending a lot of money haha.
    After much deliberation of what to do, I decided to go with the Babolat Pro Hurricane 16 strung at 62-64lbs. I just really hope price isn't the factor, for I am a college student I just really hope these strings will help me get better with hitting topspin forehands and awesome (one-handed) backhands because it seems the strings I currently have started out great, but now is just -eh.
    I'm going to head down to my local tennis outlet and see if they have any in stock, and pray it's at a decent price. I'll let you know what they have if they don't have it because I'm really trying to avoid ordering strings online.. But if they do, I'll probably get it strung sometime next week.
    Thank you so much for the help, Coach. You'll most likely be hearing from me down the.. block, in other sections of the forum. Thanks again!

Well, about an hour ago, I did an online purchase of 6 sets of Babolat Pro Hurricane 16. Once I get them, I'm planning on getting my friend to string them at... 63lbs (Too much?). I plan on stringing it at that tension because I feel as if I hit more shots for location, spin, and control I guess rather than power (Unless I feel really confident). I'm a lefty, and currently using an Easten grip for my forehands and backhands, but trying to switch to a semi/full Western grip. It's a work in progress. But yeah, thanks again for the help, Coach. I really appreciate it!

Did I ever tell you how much I hate you Lefty Players No actually I always thought a Lefty has many options that will give a Player unfamiliar with playing against a Lefty, headaches. So indulged for as long as you can. I would suggest you learn to serve outwide.

Three best serves to your opponent;

1. Slicing Out Wide - pulling your opponent out and following up with the crosscourt to the opposite corner gets them on the run. If you serve front the deuce court outwide to their forehand (or backhand if they're a lefty as well) try not to stand in admiration of your serve but instead be ready for a return that is either down to your center court, which is typical and I should point out, more likely to create a situation where you might overhit if you're striking for the corner because the distance is shortened. Or should they return DTL to your Add-Court, you will then have a FH CC shot to attempt to their ADD-Court which lessens your margin of error.

2. Down the Tee - Harder to pull off but most effective especially if you've fed a bunch of Outwide Serves, this is what I call the switchup [Not Change Up] because a Change-up would be slowing or speeding up your shot.

3. The Body Attack - I love this serve bcuz it makes your opponent have to move out of the way immediately re-adjusting their feet in order to produce a reply and increases their chance of framing the ball. Beware - Often times a framed hit can still find its' way onto the court producing all sorts of crazy spins that are hard to handle.

What Outlet did you purchase from? Tennis Warehouse perhaps? I know Sports Authority runs specials quite often so you should Bookmark their Site.

What gauge did you select? Thinner gives you nastier spin (as my kids would say) but they pop way too much for my taste. If you're going to use thin gauge string, then I'd go with the least psi you can stand without losing too much control.

The looser the psi the more power and less control. Again please give us an update ...

Cheers,

Coach
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.

Haha, all of my friends that I play always criticize me for my being left-handed, even though they've been playing tennis for God knows how much longer than me. I do slice serves at the moment, which helps me hit out wide during my serves a lot more, and I don't feel that comfortable hitting flat. I'm going to work on a kick serve while getting comfortable with my new strings.

But yes, as for the strings, surprisingly I received them via FedEx (no pun intended.. I just got the whole FedEx thing like a few days ago lol) earlier today, which is a complete surprise seeing how the seller said it would take at least 5 days default. So I'm amazed by it. Oh, and the seller was in Canada, and I bought 6 sets of Babolat Pro Hurricane 16 for only $57, including shipping. I'm pretty sure that's a bargain, but anywho. I picked it up a few hours ago, and just bouncing a tennis ball in the air with my racket I can definitely feel a difference from the tensions. My previous tension was at 56lbs, but now I had my friend string it at 60, and I definitely have a good feeling about this. CAN'T WAIT, even if I hit at a wall

Quote Originally Posted by kupaa View Post
    Haha, all of my friends that I play always criticize me for my being left-handed, even though they've been playing tennis for God knows how much longer than me. I do slice serves at the moment, which helps me hit out wide during my serves a lot more, and I don't feel that comfortable hitting flat. I'm going to work on a kick serve while getting comfortable with my new strings.

But yes, as for the strings, surprisingly I received them via FedEx (no pun intended.. I just got the whole FedEx thing like a few days ago lol) earlier today, which is a complete surprise seeing how the seller said it would take at least 5 days default. So I'm amazed by it. Oh, and the seller was in Canada, and I bought 6 sets of Babolat Pro Hurricane 16 for only $57, including shipping. I'm pretty sure that's a bargain, but anywho. I picked it up a few hours ago, and just bouncing a tennis ball in the air with my racket I can definitely feel a difference from the tensions. My previous tension was at 56lbs, but now I had my friend string it at 60, and I definitely have a good feeling about this. CAN'T WAIT, even if I hit at a wall
    Greetings ~

Curious, are these the strings you bought?

If so, please check out the link below and the Price they are selling for.
    If you paid around the same what accounted for the higher financial output, was it the shipping?

Racquet Depot

Yes, those are the strings I bought. I purchased them from an eBay store.. It was a 6SET deal for the price of $49.95 ($57.90 including shipping). I didn't buy them individually if that's what you're thinking, Coach.

I did the math and it's a few cents cheaper than the link you showed me. And surprisingly, it showed up 2 days after I ordered it, which I was blown away. I'm going to head out to the courts later today while the weather is beautiful and hope these strings are the one for me!

Quote Originally Posted by kupaa View Post
    Yes, those are the strings I bought. I purchased them from an eBay store.. It was a 6SET deal for the price of $49.95 ($57.90 including shipping). I didn't buy them individually if that's what you're thinking, Coach.

I did the math and it's a few cents cheaper than the link you showed me. And surprisingly, it showed up 2 days after I ordered it, which I was blown away. I'm going to head out to the courts later today while the weather is beautiful and hope these strings are the one for me!
    Awesome and BTW - If you happen to have a Cam , try video taping your play for awhile, so you can go back and look at how you approach your shots. See what your feet are doing, how you prepare for the ball coming, are you taking your stick back too early too late etc. You get my point. I can't tell you how important it is to video yourself. It can make a tremendous difference because you will make the necessary adjustments.

I use to correct certain things about a player who played against me and often times turned them into monsters. But I find many Players don't have the benefit of someone helping them out while they play against you, they just want to beat you and that's no fun in my book.

I'll be waiting to find out what happened.

Hah, I'm way ahead of you, Coach. I've been recording myself for the most part whenever I hit at the wall, and it really did help so much with my one handed backhands. I never really worked on my forehands because I was stuck on the fact that the strings I had on previously were the main cause that I couldn't get any spin nor keep 'em in the court.

But after stringing my new Babolat Pro Hurricane 16s at 60lbs.. Omg it's amazing! I can get so much topspin on my forehands, and I'm pretty sure I'm using a semi-western grip now, which from what I heard, adds a lot more topspin. My backhands are still the same which is totally sweet, and I'm still getting used to my serves. So once I can master my backhands and my serves, that should be game. And what I also noticed was that I've been getting more confident going to net a lot more, so I guess you can say I changed from a baseline player to an all-around.

For a few hours earlier tonight I played with one of my friends from college. He's 21 years old, and I'm 17. He's played in his boy's high school team and was on the college team for 2 years (I think). We played a bunch of 1-set games, and even though I lost every single one, I think I did pretty good.. Here's the scores in order: 6-2, 6-5, 6-3, 6-3.

I totally think I improved, and I'm glad.
    Next on my shopping list is a new bag.. either:
    http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/desc...ON-WKTBK6.html
    http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageBGBAB-BAB6.html
    http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/desc...B-BPP4RT6.html
    Idk.. I only have one racket, and I know in the future I feel like I'm going to purchase a second one for backup or a new main, so I'll just stick to one bag instead of 2819749187391.

And as for the racket..:
    another Babolat AeroPro Drive Cortex
    Babolat Pure Storm Tour
    Babolat Pure Storm Tour Ltd.
    Wilson nCode nSix-One 95
    Wilson K Factor KSix-One 95
    Wilson K Factor KSix-One Tour 90

I hate being too young to not withdraw money from the bank.. I have so much unused birthday money..