» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 638

0 members and 638 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Hello from Sacramento

Just started playing again after *really* major surgery and as a sort of a community project I created a website for my new hometown of Sacramento, California.

Anyone from Sacramento is invited to visit the new site at SacCityTennis.com.
    Of course we welcome players from all over and we are building resources that should be of general interest, but mostly we want to be of service to our own community of players in Sacramento.

I am also looking forward to participate in this forum (Sacramento can get a bit small at times) and I am glad I found this website.

Quote Originally Posted by conticreative View Post
    Just started playing again after *really* major surgery and as a sort of a community project I created a website for my new hometown of Sacramento, California.

Anyone from Sacramento is invited to visit the new site at SacCityTennis.com.
    Of course we welcome players from all over and we are building resources that should be of general interest, but mostly we want to be of service to our own community of players in Sacramento.

I am also looking forward to participate in this forum (Sacramento can get a bit small at times) and I am glad I found this website.
    Welcome -

And thank for joining the Community of Tennisw. It is our hope that you become a regular & contributing Member of our Premier Tennis Forum.

If you are an experienced Tennis Player, please don't hesitate in providing assistance to those who are seeking advice in developing their game.

'Your opinion matters'

Coach

p.s. We Hope You are enjoying a full recovery from your medical ordeal.
    The Website you made mention of in your initial Post meets our approval and can be placed in your Signature Profile with our Blessing.
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Hello from Sacramento

Thank you for your kind replay. Indeed, I used to be a ranked junior back when Rod laver was still on top of his game so I do have a lot of experience.
    My game is not what it used to be but I feel that my knowledge of tennis is so much more than it was back then, when I played by instinct.

A bit more than 4 years ago, I had a Liver transplant (no, I was not a drunk, thank you and the road leading to it and the recovery were very hard. Mentally and physically.
    For starters I had to move to a new city to get the care I needed.
    Then, after the surgery and for the longest time I could not seem to find suitable tennis partners to play with (nor was my body up to it). Google and craigslist did not help much. Many of the players were either older or not experienced enough.

I did find some site that tried to match players but none actually worked. They seemed abortive and no one responded.

So I decided to build my own. I have been a web developer for over 15 years now (except for the downtime with my illness) and one of the things I specialize in are Community websites.

I no longer need the matchmaking my site offers, but I thought of how many people are out there looking to play and no one to play with.

In addition to the matchmaking I inserted a number of other features on the site, like tennis videos, news, a directory of public courts, a forum (for locals, don't worry) and so on that at one time or another I wished was available to me.

Next it's going to be a way to organize tournaments. For that, I am trying to adapt a soccer league component. Hopefully it will work.

I have to say I am really happy about the way the site works. Almost overnight I believe it became one of the premiere "localized" tennis websites.
    Membership is still sparse but I plan to promote it around the private and public courts in town with poster and flayers.

Incidentally, if any other organization is interested in a site like the one I built, I figure I can probably build the skeleton for it (meaning minus the content plus a custom design) for probably less than $2K .

As far as community sites go, it's a deal. Back in the 90's, my company built something similar for a bit more than 3 million USD. How times change. These days a decent community website will set you back $3 to $5K minimum (if you want it to work, that is)

The important thing though is that I feel this is my way to give back to the community, something I always wanted to do. And for me it's a pretty cheap way to do it too. The software is Open Source, the server is already paid for, and the domain cost me $10.
    My time is another matter, but for a change it was fun to build a site without a client making silly requests and hovering over me.

Anyway, all this to say that I thank you for approving my site. Placing it in my signature it's great idea and I don't know why I didn't think about it.
    I just thought I would find some topics for my area and jump in to let people know.

This looks like a great site and I will certainly place it in the forum section of my own website.

Cheers.

Hi, welcome to TW!
    TennisW.com Network Administrator
    www.TennisW.com